RIS DHCP question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bambino1506, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Guys need some advice please.

I'm setting up a RIS server at work, have intalled vmware workstation on an xp machine and created a server with server 2003 enterprise r2 on it. have done dcpromo and joined the server to the existing domain.

Problem is, DHCP I believe is handled by our router, and we have plenty of DNS servers to. Does my RIS box actually need to be issuing IP's to work ? I don't want it to interfere with any of the existing servers roles as this box is purely going to be for RIS.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

No it doesnt need to be a dhcp server but you will need to authorise the ris server in dhcp if a server handles dhcp but as it doesnt in your case ermmmm I dunno.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Activation of a DHCP server sets the AD connections and things like that. You actually log on to the domain when installing your (empty) machine using RIS, so AD has to know who is giving out the IP-addresses and which server distributes the images. Is your router AD aware? And is your AD aware of your router?

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is it possible to move DHCP onto a Windows server? Might save yourself some grief! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Bambino1506

Thanks guys, I'm not sure about the Router Tinus, will check that tomorrow.

I have added the RIS server as an authorized dhcp server just by clicking on admin tools and dhcp on my workstation. it is showing up in the dhcp authorized servers list, I just haven't installed dhcp and configured it to issue ip's etc.

How about dns ? I guess it doesn't matter that the ris box isn't the primary dns server aslong as it has dns installed ?

6. Bambino1506

I will get killed if I mess with my bosses router lol so not an option :biggrin

7. Tinus1959

Let me sketch what is the case here. (simplyfied version)
    When your RIS client starts up, it has nothing installed on the harddisk. It starts up using a PXE networkcard or a special created floppy by the RBFG.exe program. The network card generates a special packet to get an IP-address. Your DHCP server may not gave out IP-addresses if it is not authorized in AD. Off course, rouge servers do not obey this (microsoft) rule. This is why your DHCP server has to be authorized. The DHCP server responds to the request and sends an IP-address to the client and also the address for the DNS server. In this DNS server the client finds the domain controller and Global Catalog servers needed to log on to the domain. After checking if the logged on user is allowed to install the RIS image, the address to the RIS server is given and the RIS menu appears and the install can begin.

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL fair enough 8)

Is there is reason why its on the router? If its a Windows domain I always install DHCP on a Windows box, much more functionality and you can see leases etc.

Also stops DHCP issues on a RIS server. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Bambino1506

Thanks guys. Don't know what I was talking about, DHCP was on a windows box on a different subnet.

My RIS server works great :). Installed xp on 2 different desktop models from it. Created a RIS boot disk for non pxe NIC machines.

Only problem i've had is trying to image an HP 6120 laptop, can't seem to get it to see the RIS server. Think there might be an issue with broadcom NIC's and RIS that causes problems.

10. Tinus1959

Laptops otfen have problems with RIS (better: RIS has problems with laptops). Ris does not support laptops with PCMCIA.
    Here is a quote from technet:
    -------
    Question: Does Remote OS Installation support remotely installing an OS image (RIPrep or CD Based) on laptop computers?

Answer: Yes and No. Remote OS Installation has been tested with laptop computers in docking stations that support the required PXE ROM code, and with laptop computers in docking stations that contain NICs supported by RIS boot floppy. The systems must be located within the docking station with the network cable plugged into the network adapter located with the docking station. The Toshiba Protégé 7010CT and Tecra 8000 are examples of laptops that support the PXE boot ROM when used with the Toshiba NetDock (docking station). In order for these systems to function with RIS, they require the 99L or later version of the PXE ROM code for the specific network card located within the NetDock.

RIS does not support laptop computers that contain PC Card or PCMCIA network cards.
    -------
    Officially this is for windows 2000, but it might still have this effect.

11. Bambino1506

Thanks Tinus, useful info.