RIPLinux: Recovery Is Possible

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by ffreeloader, Jul 6, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I ran across a reference on another forum to this bootable distribution of Linux that was created for basically one purpose: it is a LARGE collection of data recovery tools. I read the readme file on what all is included in this little distro and was impressed. It will recover, resize, and read and write to, ntfs partitions as well as any Linux file system partition. You can also image drives, but this ability is not usable for forensics work as it does not copy unused space.

It comes as an .iso file that can be burnt to a cd. But there is also a version that can be copied to a usb drive, pen drive, memory stick, etc... and booted from there. The entire distro is only 75 mB and has an addon for burning to a CD/DVD drive for file recovery.

The one con I read about it is that it isn't necessarily real easy to use. It's not very intuitive, but it is very powerful.

You can find it here, and a page listing the tools, capabilities and some Q & A's on it here. This appears to be an advanced tool that ought to be in most tech's toolbox.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Looks good, but all the links are dead at the mo....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. ffreeloader

Hmmmm.... This is an interesting little distro. I downloaded and burnt a live cd of it, and I'm posting this while booted into RIPLinux using Firefox.

This is the fastest live cd I've ever used. It beats both Kanotix and Knoppix hands down as far as speed goes. It's actually faster than my current Debian install, but then my Debian install has quite a few servers running on it.

I tried out a few of the tools such as resizing and formatting partitions, inspecting hardware, etc... from the gui and it works really well. This will be a tool I will most definitely carry. It will take a while to learn all the command line tools it has, but it will be well worth the effort to learn. I am really impressed with this after actually using it a little bit.

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

i cant wait to be able to download it :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. ffreeloader

Wow. This is weird. I just downloaded a copy less than 10 minutes ago.

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yep, links are dead. :(

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

links are fine for me:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. ffreeloader

I emailed the site owner and let him know that all the download links on the site are dead.

9. ffreeloader

The site is still up, and the documentation links still work, but all the download links are dead.

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. ffreeloader

The problem with that site is that it doesn't have the latest version that corresponds with the documentation. The current version of RIPLinux is 1.8, that sites latest version is 1.5, and it doesn't have the gui version which I would expect most Windows centric people would need, at least to start with.

12. ffreeloader

The download links are working once again. It appears that the links were being updated as the download links now point to version 1.9.

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

FYI d-Faktor ....

...the links are working again for me too !! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

:blink

what do i care about the links?

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just that it really irks you when 27 people all post to say "yeah, it's broke for me too" and then another 32 come on to say "looks good to me"

Classic Forum / lightbulb thread, but no harm intended, I was just being playful :)

:offtopic

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  16. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

thats a classic!

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am downloading it now - cheers Freddy!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Okay Freddy, it has booted and all looks good and it is indeed fairly snappy to use. However, being a Linux noob I can't for the life of me work out how to view stuff on the HDD, which has XP on it btw. I can only see the Linux file system on the CD. I realise you have to mount drives but don't know how :oops:

The link is now dead to the documentation, so I will wait until I can read that before I confuse myself any more.\

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. ffreeloader

Did you download the .iso image that has the "X" in the image name? If so just right click on the desktop anyplace after you have booted into RIPLinux and a menu will pop up. From there you can reach several of the disk recovery tools.

That's the XCFE gui if I remember correctly. There's so many of them that I confuse the names sometimes.

20. ffreeloader

BTW, I resized an NTFS partition from 9 gigs to 750 megs today with RIPLinux. It worked very well.

You will get warnings during the process that this is experimental with NTFS so although it worked smoothly for me I'd recommend doing a back up of any important files first. I then deleted a couple of other partitions, created a new NTFS partition and formatted it with NTFS. Once I saw how well it worked I deleted the NTFS partition I created and created another one in the same place and formatted it with ext3 for installing SuSe. Seems like enough people are trying it so I better get at least a little familiar with it so I can help.

The ability to save partition images from RIPLinux depends on a couple of things. Either you need enough memory to hold the image in ram and have the cd/dvd burner software in RIPLinux, or you need to have a file server so you can save the file to the server.