Right Decision to move for more Money?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by BraderzTheDog, Mar 4, 2013.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hello,

About a month back I was approached by a recruitment consultant that seemed to have a perfect position that I want to advance my career in, and to cut a long story short I decided to go for the interview see what it was like... and well it was good, I liked the place the work appeared to be more interesting and the technical test wasn't too hard.

The position was for a Network Engineer (mainly Cisco / Mitel IP phones / Checkpoint & Juniper firewalls).

Background about me, I work solely in network security and have a fair bit of experience and certs in the security field. Since I did my CCNA about a year ago I've touched minimal Cisco as well I'm mainly the firewall guy. Hence this was a pull factor of this new job, their main infrastructure is heavily Cisco orientated.

I like work and its a laugh, yes we work hard and sometimes (like everyone) have pretty bad days. But I've plodded through for 8 months of this one now and I do want to get more into routing /switching and IP telephony.

Back to the dilemma; So the role above is exactly what I miss about networking (sounds like a straight winner huh?) and well I got offered the job this morning, gladly I accepted... The job came with a £9k pay rise which is another factor for leaving. Should I have followed the money, or stay where I am, where I know I am comfortable and happy?

What are your thoughts? Have any of you done something similar to this?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

For that much money, run as fast as you can for it!

(provided the company is stable, and it seems ok to work etc)

3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Well on the above I'd say it's a no brainer to take it.

Money is a significant increase percentage wise I'm guessing (no point moving for a few pennies), staying in a role that you are comfortable and happy in is fine if you're content with that, but if you want 'more' (career and money wise) then you've got to push up and out of that comfort zone now and again.

There's always a fear of the unknown and yes there is a risk that you won't like something, but that's life :)

4. BraderzTheDog

I think its the fear of the unknown as you say that plays on your mind, ade said it well it seems to be a no brainer...

I just wonder what responsibilities come with a job like this, what do they expect for the extra money? They are admittedly a much much bigger organization than the one I work for now so that may be a reason why more cash is available.

I have noticed how people get comfortable, and I see that as a bad thing. I suppose it stops career progression, I'm always up from a new challenge!

5. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

That's true and you have the right attitude. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  6. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Sounds good to me mate, best of luck!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

In your situation, I would go as well. 9k is too much to pass up on. Also, if the company is bigger, there is likely going to be a good chance of further progression in the future.

Best of luck!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

I couldn't agree more!

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  9. BraderzTheDog

Thanks for all your advice, I'm glad you see it as a good step forward.

I just wonder what extra responsibilities may come my way. I found it rather surprising that I was taken on as I don't have much Cisco working knowledge. I spoke to the recruitment agent and was told It was between myself and another engineer. The other guy was almost exclusivley Cisco and didn't have as much knowledge of VPN's.

My only concern is maybe I might be used as my mate was who ended up in a similar boat to me, went to work for a company where they had Checkpoint firewalls and Cisco. (He left because we don't do much Cisco at all and he felt it was hindering his career chances) <- good point, it does.

He tells us now he is just an onsite Checkpoint engineer that touches almost only Checkpoint (may aswell have stayed here in that case?). I know however he will be using Cisco but maybe not the primary contact for Cisco changes.

That being said, I would like it if I could be eased back into Cisco... I was scratching my head a few weeks back when setting up HSRP on two Cisco routers, not because I didn't know what I wanted to do or how to implement it, but that I was rusty with the syntax! The syntax will come in time I guess. (That's what Juniper does to you.)

That also being said, I was picked for a reason... My bet is they have alot of good Cisco engineers that know the product inside out, and have products like Juniper / Checkpoint where I can share my skills.

I am excited about this now I'm talking about it... :) Seems to me like a way to progress in areas I don't know, it will make me a better more knowledgeable and more confident engineer in the years to come.

10. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

my previous company decided no one was getting a pay rise even after the company made a big profit. i got offered a similar pay rise to you else where and a bigger bonus so jumped at the chance. previous company ended up advertising my job for more monies and had to pay a recruitment company so it basically cost them more money in the long run. i didnt feel any loyalty toward the company as it was easily the worse company i had worked for. my new job is everything my previous company wasnt. do what ever is best for you.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good stuff mate &#8211; the best way to grow your CV.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. BraderzTheDog

Good advice, I'm probably now on normal sort of money. I took a bit of a gamble where I am now I took a pretty big pay cut to get into networking. I previously worked for an ISP pretty much a standard call centre techie.

I got offered a Junior role where I am now, Took a £5,000 pay cut as I knew it would eventually give me the skills to make more in the long run & have a career path outlined. I fell pretty good about myself and thank you guys for the support!

Cheers guys!

13. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Congrats mate!!! good on you!

how much you make now?