RHCE vs MCSE

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by iRock, Dec 18, 2007.

1. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Currently just finishing up my MCSA, I know it pretty much inside out.
    I plan to do my MCSE and then move on to a Linux Certification.

I was just wondering what the RHCE exam is like - I understand it is hands on.

How would one rate it difficuly wise compared to MCSA/MCSE?
    Is it worth getting certified in Redhat?

Certifications: MCP (270,290), MCTS Vista
    WIP: 291,293,297
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I don't have an RHCE so it's hard for me to compare it with an MCSE. From what I've heard though, it's much more difficult, and much more expensive as the only way to test is at RedHat. The last time I looked at costs it was $3-4000 for an RHCE 3 years ago or so, but it also required you to have the RHCT(Technician) before you could attempt the RHCE. The RHCT isn't cheap either.

From what I've heard they test at a pretty deep level for the RHCE, and it is an all-hands-on test. No multiple choice. You either do the work or fail the test.

If the costs are too high you might consider looking at the LPCI certs if you really want a Linux cert. There are two levels right now with a third level under development. I have an O'Reilly book on the requirements for the LPCI cert and it's not a piece of cake either. You really need to know Linux well, as well as many open source server products such as Apache, Exim, SendMail, SSH, FTP, Postgres, MySQL, and more, to pass. You have a choice of which installer to learn, RedHat's .rpm or Debian's .deb system.

RedHat is the most successful commercial open source venture so there is obviously value in learning their products. It just depends on what you're wanting to learn and why. I've stuck with Debian since I started, and it's a hot property right now. With all the successful distro's that have forked from it knowing Debian is a real advantage too. And, Debian has the largest footprint of the non-commercial distro's in the server market. It's well-designed for use as a server.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Interesting - the cost is not really an issue for me.
    Im not loaded but if the certification was genuinely worth it I would go for it.

What I am looking for is a Certification that will benefit me on the same level (if not higher) as the MCSE in the Linux world. I do not use Linux on a daily basis but it would be common for customers to have unix servers. We develop and deploy applications that use Oracle DB so I would like to be in on the Unix side rather than the DB (I can't take to DB's at all).

The LPI sounds good too - with experience would it be much of a benefit?

I'm not afraid of learning, I consider myself a fast learner - I prepared for and completed my CCNA within a week.

I'm lucky enough to live within 2 minutes walk of a Red hat training centre also, so these are all factors I have to take into consideration.

I won't rush into anything anyway, I intend on researching it more.

Thanks for your advice!

Certifications: MCP (270,290), MCTS Vista
    WIP: 291,293,297
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

One thing you might take into consideration is that certification is not looked at the same way in the Linux world as it is in the MS world. In the Open Source/Linux world it's pretty much what you can do, not certifications, that get you jobs and set you apart. Things just seem to be based much more on merit than paper. At least that's been my experience anyway.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1