Rewriting my CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by immoral giant, Jul 5, 2007.

1. immoral giant

immoral giant Nibble Poster

I want to retype my CV because I am fed up of my current job.

I have a personal and professional clash with one of my collegues who is retiring in April, but I don't know if I can last that long with the stress.

I spoke to my boss and he doesn't want to rattle the cage so to speak as he is so close to retirement. He knows that I am stressed because of him and that a lot of staff are irritated to the backbone with him.

I have been promised a promotion and a pay rise once he has retired, but that is a long time away.

I am in a situation where I am trying to get my MCSA done by the end of August. By then I will have 2 years experience helping workers with all sorts of problems from simple copy and paste things in Word and Excel to developing a PHP and MySQL room booking system and ISA web log reader.

I am currently being held back because of my collegue and I am not advancing. I have complained to my boss about not having enough work to do as well, which has resulted in a spurt of work for a couple of days, which are normally jobs out of my job description, then it goes quiet again. I like to keep busy and be doing work.

I am not 100% sure what I want to do. I am pretty good at fault finding, and repairing as well as building PCs. I have a limited knowledge of Macs and Linux, but a very good knowledge of XP and a growing knowledge of Vista.

At my current place, staff ask for me specifically rather than an ICT Technician, but I am not sure how I would put that down in a CV without making it seem I am blowing my own trumpet.

....And I have rattled on...I type too much :oops:

Any help and advice would be great.

Certifications: A+, N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would put that you're often asked to help a collegue out rather than them going through the appropriate channels to an IT tech.

Maybe ask a collegue why they ask you, they may say because of your attitude or the way that you explain their particular problems i.e you dont use lots of tech jargon they dont understand or want to know. they may say its easier because you know your stuff and as many off us know some IT techs do gett a bit uppety if you call them to a simple issue.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. immoral giant

Well some do say without me asking, that I am patient with them and make everything simple for them to understand. I treat them how I would want to be treated in something that I didn't know.

4. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well if you dont have much to do during the day - you are not getting enough experience..I can see the issue...

Firstly you attitude is very good towards the users and you can use straightforward communications skills - these are always important!

Basically you have a couple of choices:

1. Study up to the max during work hours...get work to pay for training, books and testing software. Basically get the MCSA and A+ as if you go to a new job you might not get the time to do this study.

2. Leave and get more eexperience - but find out you jumped from the frying pan into the fire in a employee relations sense. Plus as mentioned above, in a new role you might not get the study support you require...

Basically your call, but IMHO, I would at least nail the two certs first and wait until April - especially if your current employer is supportive of any efforts you make in certs.

Note that if you get both certs by Christmas [2 or 3 exams and very doable] then just embark on another study period until April.

The two entry level certs and the fact that you waited to resolve a work issue "my previous role was being re-defined in April 2008, so I remained with the company to explore this option..." makes you sound mature and reliable at least. Therefore April 2008 looks to be the logical cutover point in one way or another...

All the best!

supa

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  5. immoral giant

Thanks for the reply supag33k.

Yeah, well I already have the A+ done and dusted, N+ is on the 27th July. I am positioned at a school, so I have most of August off, which I plan to get as much training done as I can so that I can hopefully do the tests either the end of August or the October half term.

I have been avoiding my supervisor as much as I can recently which has actually made the job more satisfying and less stressful.

I do get on with the vast majority of people at work, it's just that the one that I don't get on with, I have to be in the office with him all the time.

I guess I will just wait until April, go for my certs and re-evaluate my situation. If I stay on past April I will get the hands on experience with DHCP etc. At the moment it is just active directory and group policy.