Returning to IT.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Dashik, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Dashik

Dashik Bit Poster

Hi.

I thought I would say hello.

So after having been made redundant from a Senior Field Service Engineers post around 6 years ago and then becoming an Advanced Driving Instructor I have, due to my partners ill health, decided to return to IT.

I am looking to eventually chose my work hours either through contracting or just plain old 9 to 5 :D I might even be able to work mainly from home if I get lucky.

Ive given the ADI job up and Ive got myself an HP Proliant ML110 with 8Gb ram and 2 x 1Tb Hdd and 1 x 500Gb Hdd in addition to the 250Gb hdd that comes with it which I will upgrade to 16gb shortly . This is networked to my games PC (a beast) for a reasonable home Lab with 2 x 24" Dell monitors (on the games pc). I also plan on replacing the smaller Hdd's with another 2 x 1Tb then raid the lot.

Remote Desktop to the server ofc.

Currently running Windows Server 2008R2 with Hyper V and will be doing the VM route for the labs.

I'll get a technet sub once I've done 70-680.

I'm going to have to recertify my Cisco and Windows stuff as I feel its been to long otherwise. So I'm starting off with 70-680 then off into MCITP Server Admin then Enterprise Admin. I'll then see wether to do CCNA or Exchange and VIOP. Ideally I'd like to get into virtualisation at a later date.

Ive bought the MS Press books for Enterprise Administrator and the additional book for 70-680 and 70-646. For all there faults there still published by the exam creators. I'm not entirly daft either as I plan on making full use of forums like these and any and all available web resources.

Keeping an eye on the local job market to try and get a contract rolling out Windows boxes to get a current reference :D Also to see what skills are in demand most..

So there we are. Im looking to get 70-680 out of the way asap and crack on and get a few contracts and certifications by the end of this year.

Regards

James.

WIP: CCNA/CCNP MCITP: SA & EA
  2. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :)

Have seen your threads over at OCUK keep up the work :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  3. Dashik

Dashik Bit Poster

Cheers Chris. Been lurking here for a while :D

WIP: CCNA/CCNP MCITP: SA & EA
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF James and good luck with your quest :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security