Restore the default domain policy

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simongrahamuk, Oct 15, 2008.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Has anyone ever attempted the above?

I found out how to do it: Linky but I'm wondering if anyone has ever attempted it before?

Part way down the article it mentions that:
    can anyone add any further clarity to this, and what it actually means?
    Does resetting this have any affect on GPO's assigned further down the tree?

and finally, why didn't the last bloke follow standard guidelines and leave the Default Domain Policy alone! :dry

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Never done it before mate but if you go for it make sure you know the directory services restore mode password.

If it goes belly up you can then just restore the system state put things back to the way they were before the changes.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I had to do this on two domains about 8 months ago, and I 'think' that it only touches the two default GPO's. At that point we didn't have any GPO's I think, as the previous guys literally just added to the defaults.

So, as far as I understand it, only the two default GPO stated are affected, but... obviously if there were settings in the default GPO's that are removed by resetting them back to default, it could cause a few issues. It all depends on how many changes have been made to the default GPO's.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thats the issue, the default GPO seems to have had a fair few changes made to it and it is now conflicting with policies that are being applied at the correct level.

5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Someone may know better, but if you want to level the default GPO's back to the beggining thus losing the changes made to them, you'd just have to keep your fingers crossed and hope that the custom GPO's function as they should without the conflicts from before.

With the default GPO's back to standard, it should be easier to troubleshoot conflicts anyway.

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thats the idea! At least we'll know what is being applied then.

With a full system state backup taken just before I do this we'll see what happens tomorrow! :ohmy

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Well, I'm pleased to report that the restore worked successfully.

A quick system state backup taken just before hand just incase wasn't needed as it all went according to plan. We can now tell exactly what policies are being applied and where!

Just got to finish restructuring AD now.

8. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Excellent, good to hear Simon.