Restore is taking a while.

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by flex22, Sep 12, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Er, don't know what's going on with my restore.

I've managed to get my CD drive working again.

I backed up my data on my computer from the laptop.

I restored the backup but the files aren't where they used to be.I think I didn't specify to restore them to the original location.

I've just restarted the reinstall and the dialog box says that it will take 36 days and counting to restore.Now I know I had a few documents, but 36 days, oh no, hand about, 40 days, it just keeps getting higher, very strange.

Anywhow, I'm going to stop it now coz theres no way I'm waiting, er, 44 days to restore my data.

Can anyone tell me how you restore XP back to where it was with all the original settings and desktop items, or if you can give me a link.

I mean 51 days is ridiculous, I'll have to leave the comp while I wash my hair and everything.

2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I sorted this, delete this message if u want.

Cheers.

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hey Flex

What was the problem and how did you resolve it.

You never know, we all may come across this problem at some time and any knowledge is good knowledge (said Mr. Benn)

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Wake up flex, huh, oh right, hello.

Erm, well that's a very good point Andrew.

I usually always do explain how I got around a problem, it's very important to write down how you overcame stuff.

When my CD/DVD drive disappeared there was a conflict in the device manager mmc (yellow signs next to them)

I really should have documented it all, but hand up, I've been lazy, sorry all.

I do remember it was an IDE conflict, but can't explain further.

I decided on a clean install.

I had the backup on my other comp, and I restored the data using a crossover cable, once XP Pro was reinstalled.

Once XP was reinstalled, everything was ok (hardware wise).

I don't rightly know what happened on the first restore of the backed yo data.

Once the dialog box hit "download will take 76 days and 16 hours" I thought I'd quit and start over.

It really bugs me hen things happen and I don't know why.I mean REALLY!!!! bugs me.It seems to happen so often while learning that I must admit, I get very downhearted and frustrated.

I'm better with my patience these days (better, by my standards :x ) but it's when things have to be taken as "thats just the way it is" I can't stand it.

I know we delve deep into the products but often I'm left perplexed as to why things happen.

Oh well, sorted now though.