Resources for practical application

Discussion in 'A+' started by TheLostNoose, Jun 9, 2011.

1. TheLostNoose

TheLostNoose New Member

Hi to all,

I've just started to study at last but I am looking for more of a practical element to consolidate what I am learning. Can any of you recommend any good books that give a more hands on approach to back up what I am learning.

Thanks

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you want a practicle way to study you cant go wrong with taking and putting your pc back together and as far as the OS side of things setup virtual pc or vmware on it so you dont damage your proper installation.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. TheLostNoose

TheLostNoose New Member

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking more along the lines of real life scenarios - problem solving. I have some pcs to take apart and am going to setup a virtual OS.

4. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

that's exactly what i done. a mate of mine had an old pc that was playing up. I asked if i could strip it to component parts (remove processor and ram, psu etc) and rebuild it as well as fix it. he said fine. The first problem was easy, 3 beeps on power up and no display that was a poorly seated graphics card. The rebuild was pretty easy too. I also got virtual pc 2007 free from oldversion.com or a similar siteand set up a virtual xp pro and server 2003 r2 machine. helps loads with the learning. I past both tests first time.
    Good luck

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon