Resolutions

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Dec 31, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

So what are your resolutions?

I don't mean this to conflict with the goals thread, so what do you want to give up? or do less off?, or start.

Mine are:

Start swimming regularly

Stop Drinking completley

Stop smoking.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I dont make any resolutions. Waaaaaay back in 1990 i made the resolution never to make any more. That way i can't break any. Not that many people remeber thier resolutions half way throught the year anyway, thats if they last that long!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. greenbrucelee

ha lol :)

yep I have done it before and not stuck to it, but this time I will do at least two of those. The problem is I like a smoke but I must stop it, I will try to keep it as a special occasion or something if I can't give up completly.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are you mad? :biggrin

Mine is to drink more! :alc

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. greenbrucelee

my problem is that I do not get hangovers, and it does not matter what I drink. So I tend to drink shitloads.

At the moment I am drinking stella in the 568ml cans that is about 1.5 pints I think, I have already had 5 and have 3 more to go before they are finished.

7. Sparky

WHAT!!! and you want to stop drinking??? :blink

Come on, everyone likes a drink so no need to give it up. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. greenbrucelee

Thats the reason I drink 20 - 24 Stellas every weekend, so split it into two days, I feel perfectly fine the next day and can carry on drinking without a bother.

Thats why I said I didn't want to conflict with the goals thread and it was more to do with what you wanted to give up or cut down on.

9. Sparky

Sounds good mate, but to give it all up? That’s a big step! :biggrin

The smoking thing seems fair enough, but if you enjoy a smoke then keep smoking! :biggrin

10. greenbrucelee

The smoking thing I can give up, the drinking thing I can give up, but I work in a job the pisses me off and that bores me shitless.

I only smoke at work that is because of bordome and I drink at the weekend to prepare for the next week.

So I guess I must find a better job.

11. Sparky

Sounds like a plan mate.

I was the same; I smoked because I liked taking a break for a smoke and that made the day at work much better. When I finally got a job in IT I ditched the smoking.

I still drink because I enjoy it! :biggrin

12. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

568ml is exactly one pint, bloody typical, exaggerating how much you can handle lol :twisted:

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  13. greenbrucelee

I thought a pint was less than that.

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually, I've already cut down on the booze quite a bit. I didn't even have a glass of wine last night for New Years Eve...just chamomile tea to "unwind" (Ok, I did have one of the cinnamon rolls my daughter made for a snack...sue me). I've changed my eating habits so they're quite a bit lighter and more "green", so much less "junky" food.

While I've started a wee aerobic and weight training regime, I'd like to build that up in the coming year. I need to start out slow, not only to get used to the weights themselves but particularly to get my connective tissue used to them. Even if my muscles are capable of lifting a particular weight, tweaking a tendon in the process isn't a good thing. Also, as you get older, everything on your body that used to be very elastic starts to become less "stretchable", so it's easier to get an injury.

With that preamble out of the way, my goal is to build up on the exercise over the course of this year to get to my ideal weight/waist size and generally to feel better in terms of my health, then maintain myself over the long haul. I used to have a good aerobic and weight training regime and was in fabulous health...but that was about 20 years ago. Fortunately, weight training is one of the few sports that's not particularly affected by age. I'm not interested in bulking up and becoming "The Incredible Hulk", but feeling stronger and having more general endurance would be nice.

I'd like to build up my "spiritual muscles" as well by becoming more involved in prayer and study (I don't know if this is an appropriate subject, but it does involve doing "more" of something) so I can have a better perspective on my life in general.

15. greenbrucelee

I am going to start a light aerobics program since I can't do the heavy exercise I used to do, I'll probably do kalastenics or something along those lines.

16. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Tripwire.

If your looking on building some muscle you need to vary your programme. You need to go GYM at least 3 times a week (i play alot of football too so my days off involve football), and you need to vary your programme... examples:

Make sure when you go GYM your work no more than 2 muscle groups,

Mine are: shoulders and tricepts / chest / back and bicepts (with abs involved in each day too)

If you need to lose weight too make sure your doing alot of running etc, its important to make sure you get alot of protein to help replenish those muscles.

Ah and the main thing,

dont get into a 'routine', every 2 weeks i will change the weight, and the order of how i do things...

2 weeks i will do comfortable weights at 4 x 16 sets, 2 weeks on heavy 3 x 6-8 sets, 2 weeks on 1x easy 2 x medium 1x heavy etc etc...

Let me know what your programmes like... I have been going GYM for about 12 weeks now.

Certifications: A+, N+
  17. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Oh my Resolutions:

1/ Try and save around 10% of my wage into the 'unexpected' account, whereby when the unexpected happens i have a fund to dip into.

2/ Finish my A+, ive been slaking too much in 07.

3/ Try and be less wasteful with my money i.e pointless takeaways etc

Certifications: A+, N+
  18. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

1 Drop a stone
    2 Drop the lottery
    3 Drop my boss (this will happen immediately after no.2):p

Certifications: A+
  19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the advice, asje1. Actually, I used to do quite a bit of lifting so am at least somewhat familiar with the theories behind weight training. I'm not looking to bulk up at this point in time. Right now, I'm more focused on losing "unsightly" body fat, slowly strengthening muscles, and building up aerobic endurance.

I read somewhere recently that doing weight training, you can't build up muscle and tear down fat at the same time. People who are into body building and want to build bulk typically work on building up their muscle mass first, then work on tearing down fat afterwards. I don't want to become "Mr. Universe", so I'll work on the fat-tearing-down process first. Experience tells me that muscle strength will come naturally as I continue my program.

At some point, I do intend on breaking up my regime as you've suggested, though I'll probably first just split my upper and lower body workouts and then proceed with a more refined program. Obviously along the way, I'll need to increase the weights and sets. Right now I'm working exclusively on weight machines but will also need to transition into free weights.

Not running at this point. Trying to be good to my knees and am on an aerobic machine both at home and at the gym. I know my body well enough to know how it responds to exercise and what I need to do to get to my goals.

Again, thanks for the interest and advice. :wink:

-Trip

20. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

my new years resolution is to continue the weight loss and get down to 185 - 190 lbs at 10% body fat or so. i should be able to get there over the next couple months. down from 237 to 205 at the moment.

good luck to everyone making resolutions.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP