Resigned today

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zcapr17, Aug 21, 2008.

1. zcapr17

zcapr17 Nibble Poster

After nearly 6 months toying with the idea I've finally bitten the bullet and resigned. It's the first time I've ever resigned from a job and I had butterflies in my stomach all day.

I've been working hard to bring my qualifications up to date by completing my MCSE, VCP, and Linux+ in the last month or so.

My plan is to get a contract role involving VMware...wish me luck!

Certifications: MCSE:2K3 MCTS:Vista VCPv3 ITILv3 Sec+ L+
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Admin 2008, CCA
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Best of luck, I'm sure that you will succeed in whatever you do.

You are now the master of your own disaster ;p

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well am sure six months must have been enough pondering for you as well as savings kept away. Best wishes and hope you get a contract job doing VMWare stuff.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Use the force, zcapr17! :)

Best of luck to you. :) Let us know what happens.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Best of luck in the future

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Good luck for the future :D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Good luck! Let us know how you get on!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good luck!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

I am sure you will be fine! Good luck and let us know how you get on. :thumbleft

WIP: Exchange
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Welcome to my world, I've resigned from every job I've had (except contracts)

Never feel you are tied to an employer, or owe them any sort of debt, most of them wont think twice letting you go, don't think twice doing the same to them

Good luck with the search, I'm sure you will do fine :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. pjrbakery

pjrbakery Bit Poster

Good luck to you zcapr17!

Once you have resigned once it is much easier to take the same decision next time you feel it is the right thing for you to do.
    I have the utmost respect for those people you take control of their lives and make things happen for themselves.

Can you tell us the reasons for your decision? Was it something about your employer or about your employment role or something else?

Cheers.

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+, C
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

He stated the reason as he wants to go contracting and especially on VMware:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. pjrbakery

pjrbakery Bit Poster

If my question wasn't clear, I was wondering whether there were any specific reasons for wanting the change from his present job to the new contracting role.

I suppose that one could assume that the reason is something to do with changing from employment to self-employment, but I thought that zcapr17 could add some further backgorund to the reason for his decision. In effect to explain the "wants" part of
    Cheers.

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+, C
  14. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Good luck mate I'm sure you will do well.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have never been sacked or let go either.. you just need to move sometimes, if the situation calls for it. look after yourself, do not lose sight of *your* goals. be productive, in whatever you do, show some initiative, work hard, get a reputation and go for it.

Good luck, that sounds like a plan 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. zcapr17

zcapr17 Nibble Poster

Well it's a combination of factors really:
    1. To be of most value, I want to gain experience of how IT is implemented in a broad range of large companies. I've been in my current organisation for just over three years, which even though I have found it very enjoyable and rewarding, is too long.
    2. Our IT manager moved on recently, so there is going to be a period of instability. Many projects have already been re-prioritised by the interim manager - I really can't be bothered with the hassle.
    3. To maintain my sanity, I want to move from mainly third-line support, to mainly project-based work. My current employer has not been able to offer anything in this respect.
    4. My strength lies in my technical ability and I feel that compared to permanent positions, contracting will better allow me to use and develop my technical skills.
    Regards,

z

Certifications: MCSE:2K3 MCTS:Vista VCPv3 ITILv3 Sec+ L+
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Admin 2008, CCA
  17. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Best of luck - I'm sure you'll do fine...

18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Brave man. Good luck. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685