Resetting Routers

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Sure Shot, May 30, 2007.

1. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Hi all

Would anybody happen to know how reset a netgear router back to "complete" factory settings?

Let me explain what I mean. I had the router given to me from a friend as Sky had sent him one to many. I want to use it as a repeater. When you try to access the routers' admin page you are prompted with username/password authentication. Now normally this is just, admin and password respectively. Netgear tell me that if the router was issued by Sky then it will have a different username password just to access the admin screen. I have tried the usual reset button on the back but it still doesn't get me around this problem. There may not be a way around it but I thought I'd just ask.

Thanks

Certifications: N+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

have you tried the username and password details that your mate use? normally, there is a default option within the CP *after* you have logged into the router.

3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I think they sometimes have a sticker on them with the details, it makes it easier for the support that way because they just tell you to check that. Not sure if sky will do that tho.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Don't forget that the Sky router has a different firmware from the normal Netgear.

There are sites around that tell you how to reset the router, and how to flash it to a standard firmware.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You may have to hold the reset button for a few seconds and then all the lights will flash. Then try logging on with the default username and password.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

What model is it?

There may be a recessed reset button as well as the regular reset - been ages since I looked at any NetGear stuff apart from the trusty little 10Mb hub hanging off my cable modem :biggrin

You might have to press the reset then depress a separate recessed one with a paperclip for 5-30 seconds. If you google the model number and "hard reset" you should find out the correct method

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

The router does have a sticker on it that just gives you the SSID, NET KEY and Channel.

DG834G is it's model.

It does have a recessed reset which you need to hold in for a few seconds, I have tried that.

I'm waiting on my mate to get back to me with his user details, if he can find them, maybe that will work.

I will google the model number and see if I can get a flash for it as you have suggested.

Much appreciated guys, let me know if you aquire any more info.

Sean

8. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Just had a thought...

Wouldn't I need to be in the router admin the flash the firmware?

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I doubt the unit you list has a permission list tbh. normally, these units will have an "admin" that can do what they want with it!

Make sure you have a good wired connection and if using a laptop on mains to flash it. the last thing you want is the flash to get interrupted.

Edit; Read your post my way! Yes, you will need to access the admin (or config) page.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes, you log on then browse to the updated firmware from the web interface.

Have you tried holding the reset button down for a longer period of time? Say 10-15 seconds.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

This should be correct if it is the same as the one I set up for someone a while ago, although i'm pretty sure alot of the settings are locked out.

username= admin, password= sky

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  12. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

That's the problem, I cant' log in, therfore I couldn't flash it if I wanted to... and I wouldn't need to flash it if I could log in.

I have done a full 30 second reset and Sky told me a short while ago that even doing a hard reset will not reset their firmware authentication.

Tried Username - admin and Password - sky also.

It's not looking good is it.

What's a permission list Boyce?

13. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  14. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Metalstar... You are a diamond my son!

I now have full access to all my routers settings thanks to you.

Clever little chap who worked that out, although all I had to do was a fair bit less than what he instructs.

I just reset and powered on at the same time. The router goes into a kinda idle state with the lights dancing. I then just powered off and on, waited for it to boot up normally then accessed through the logon screen using username=admin and password=sky.

It seems this procedure carries out a "proper" hard reset.

Many thanks to all, I'll be back on soon to ask how I go about setting this router up as a repeater for my xbox 360 to connect with my Belkin wireless G. I'll see if the netgear site gives enough information on setting this up first. Though upon a quick browse earlier, they were only showing how to set up "netgear to netgear"

Cheers :biggrin