Reseller Accounts - advice please

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by thecatsmother, Jul 24, 2007.

1. thecatsmother

thecatsmother Byte Poster

Hi all. Anyone have a reseller account? I'm about to (hopefully, got the meeting this afternoon - fingers crossed) take over the design and maintenance of a website. The previous designer has registered the domain in his own name under his own reseller account with Fasthosts. Is it possible for me to take this site over without moving the hosting, or am I better to move it anyway? I've never had a reseller account, so I'm not sure how they work.

Any advice welcome. I'm not sure what the relationship is like between the organisation and the previous designer, so not sure how cooperative he will be in the handover. I'll be sure to find that out this afternoon. It's a org.uk domain.

For those of you realising that the cert isn't going to be enough to get you a job, this work is coming my way on the back of some pro-bono work I did for another similar organisation. Get those portfolios ready, folks!

WIP: CIW Website Design Manager
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you have a domain account yourself? For example 123reg.

If so try and get the domain transferred so you have total control of it. Has the website still to be hosted on the same server?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Eeww! I'm doing the same thing pro bono for a local charity - luckily the previous site owner is not being obstructive.

In your case, if the previous designer has the domain-name registered in his name, then it's his. If he wants to be awkward, you won't have a leg to stand on.

Be very, very nice to him is my advice....

You can host wherever you like, and once you get agreement to transfer over the domain name, you don't have to keep it with the existing web host; that is up to you.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  4. thecatsmother

I don't have a reseller account, but I have registered domains for myself before. The pro-bono work I mentioned earlier involved moving that domain away from someone else's reseller account, but that guy was closing up his account and giving up web design anyway and was very cooperative in the handover.

It doesn't have to stay on the same server from my point of view, I'm just trying to do things by the least complicated (and least expensive) method. Sounds like moving the domain to hosting of my choosing is the way to go, but it will need his cooperation as he's the registered owner of the domain.

5. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

You MUST get him to transfer the domain name registration to the organisation - if it stays with him there is always the chance he could accidentally (or on purpose) forget to keep up payments on it, and then there can be a real mess of problems trying to get it freshly assigned -it goes into a sort of limbo for a while, and it gets easier to just start from scratch with a new name.

6. thecatsmother

Do reseller accounts automatically register the domain in the name of the reseller? It's the second time I've come across this. I think it's really bad practice. When I register a domain for someone else, I register it in their name and put myself as administrative contact. Am I daft? Is there some reason I shouldn't do it that way?

7. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

8. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

You should always have the domain name registered in the name of the organisation it is for.

9. thecatsmother

Cheers for that. They are a registered charity, so I'll look into that. At least part of the site is going to be database-driven. Do they support mySQL? No worries if you don't know off the top of your head. I will check them out myself later, I'm just in a bit of a rush now.

Thanks for your input on this one. Much appreciated.

10. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

11. thecatsmother

Cheers, m'dear! Just off now, and more sure of my ground on a few points thanks to you.