Requirements?

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by SkyHize, Jan 31, 2014.

1. SkyHize

SkyHize New Member

Hello, at the moment i'm studying for the CompTIA A+ certification and i'm planning to do Network+ after but i've read somewhere that to take the Network+ exams it's required to have at least one year worth of experience in the IT field, i'd like to know if this is true and if there's any other requirement to take the exam. Thanks in advance.

2. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Afternoon,

If you ask me on the subject I would say you don't need any experience to do either. The reason being these two exams are both entry level, designed to give you an understanding of how computers or networks work. Due to the nature of CompTIA its vendor neutralness aims the certification at the entry level audience.

When I started out in IT (I've been in the industry 4 years now) I worked on A+ and N+ when I had no experience at all, having the comptia certs landed me a service desk job, and if you ask me that's the aim of comptia... To get you onto the ladder.

Once you have A+ or N+ depending on which way you want to go; you should be looking at either the Microsoft material or the Cisco material.

Out of interest what is your position, do you work in IT already or are you trying to break into the market?

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It's more of a recommendation than a requirement :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. SkyHize

SkyHize New Member

Thanks guys.

I'm "trying to break into the market" i guess, i'm VERY lucky because i found an employer that actually asked me to start with those so i could get that job from him. I always liked IT but never put any real interest in it. I'm in a weird position though, i'm not living in my country (Italy) anymore and now i'm living in a country where they speak spanish but i'm studying the material in english... :D

I hope the exams will be in english too or else i'd need to get spanish material too and read it all over again. I'm sure having only the theory part won't help much so i'll look for a place here where i can learn a bit and put to practice what i'm learning from the book.

I don't know what paths there are and if i knew i'm sure i still wouldn't be able to decide until i finish A+ and N+. If i'll have any doubts about it i think i'll ask here again since this forum looks active and you guys already helped me. Thanks again!

5. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

You're welcome,

For piece of mind all big vendor exams are available to be taken in English :) You select the language when booking it online.

Good luck!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+