repairing/upgrading

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by gazzair, Oct 6, 2010.

1. gazzair

gazzair New Member

I'm interested in learning to build myself custom PC's as a hobby.

Can any of you guys school me to any courses and books that teach you the basics (leading to more advanced) of repairing/upgrading computers.

Cheers

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The best way to start learning how to build custom PCs is to build your own. You learn a lot from your successes and failures.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This.

If all your looking to do is build yourself a PC then quite a few of the computer mags have an irregular tutorial on how to go about it as a starting point (I know both CustomPC and PCGamer had them recently).

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. gazzair

gazzair New Member

yeah, I can see what you guys mean.

What I failed to address in my post and partly the reason I mentioned a course - is that if I find that I do really enjoy it, it would be something I would look to get into career wise. With that in mind, are there any decent (recognised) courses, that cover the repairing aspect of it?

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you give me a tenner a lesson I will teach you how to build comps, though you will have to buy the equipment :D I'll even teach you how to overclock without fear of system death.:D

But like the guys said, you learn from building yourself, start of with something basic if your not so confident then you can move on to really cool systems after that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

This is the type of stuff covered in a Comptia A+ course. There's no reason to pay a training provider for this unless you just really prefer classroom training.

It sounds like a book like this may be good for you:

Upgrading and Repairing PCs (19th Edition) [Deluxe Edition] [Paperback]
    Scott Mueller

I had the version from about 12 years ago. It was good back then so the quality is probably as good or better now.

You could take a look at some of the free professor messer videos: http://www.professormesser.com/free...essers-free-220-70x-comptia-a-training-course In your situation I would concentrate on videos about motherboards, memory, cpu's, pata/sata, cooling systems, and the like while skipping the videos concerning laptops, printers, virtual machines, networking and the like.

If you get into and feel like you may want to go further Mike Myers All-in-One CompTIA A+ Exam Guide, 7th Ed. comes highly recommended...

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

While I agree that delving in and building your own PC is a great thing to do, especially from the learning angle. It can be a bit daunting.

However sometimes, some people just need a boost with a course.

I started with the C&G's 7261 in PC Programming, which included among other modules:

Data Communications and Networks (Microcomputers)
    Microcomputer Operating Systems and Environments &
    Microcomputer Systems Installation and Maintenance

Now that was over a decade ago :oops:

Now a days, you can go to college (part-time in the evenings) to do the A+ combined with the iPRO to learn how to build a PC, as well as other things. Otherwise you can grab yourself two books:

PC Technician Street Smarts and Mike Meyers AiO Book.

and a couple of cheap or free second hand PC's from freecycle or places similar.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Kitkatninja

Mate, your under selling yourself :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. greenbrucelee

I do it for the love of passing on my knowledge :biggrin

10. Kitkatninja

I can understand that, however it goes well on a full stomach :)

-ken

11. greenbrucelee

lol maybe I should charge £50 a lesson then I might need to visit the little theif when on the motorway, last time I went to one it was £10 for burger, chips and a drink :eek: