Removing Vista?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simongrahamuk, Jun 16, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Question for you guy's that have been playing with Vista.

I've had it installed, had my bit play with it and have decided that my laptop can't cope with it (constant hd access, ages to respond to anything) and have decided to removed it.

It is currently set up to dual boot with XP. Normally I would simply modify the Boot.ini file so that at boot the second OS is not detected and then delete the OS from my second partition, however, Vista does not use boot.ini.

Vista uses a new boot loader called BCDEDIT.exe and I'm not really sure if modifying this file will allow me to simply boot to XP.

I could of course always simply boot into XP and reformat the second partition, but how would that affect the way that my xp boots?

Anyone have any suggestions or comments? :blink

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Great! I find something in the Microsoft Forums that I thought would answer the question, and guess what the response is 'Off Topic'!

I tried running the cmd that it suggests but get a return error message! :ohmy

Guess I'll keep looking! :biggrin

3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Ummm... Simon, you did post that question in an MSDN forum. That's a developers forum, not a forum associated with any type of administration questions.....

As much as I'd like to knock MS again, I just can't do it on this one.... :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

my solution was to restore the original boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com

then delete the folders created by vista

doing this will definitely restore your system to it's before state.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nope It wasn't me Freddy! (Was posted back in March)

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Think I've found a fix, fairly straight forward one at that!

Off to try it now.....I'f I'm not back before long it didn't work and I'm rebuilding! :biggrin

EDIT: FIX WORKS! :biggrin