Removing orphaned shares on XP Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by derkit, Apr 11, 2008.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Just had a battle with the computer at home with a share that wouldn't remove from within Computer Management. I had a removable hard drive attached via USB and would share a folder within it to the rest of the network - since this, the RHD has died, and I've had new drives attached, but the share remained and there was no way to delete it as the original source had moved.

After some fruitful research, I came up with:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares\Security

delete the desired share key in each folder (seems possible that this is server only)

or under command line:
    net share <name> /delete

The latter of the two worked. I knew the net share command existed but how long did it take me to add the /? switch to find out what was available! :oops:

Thought I'd share my success (and embarrasment) with all to hopeful save your blushes in future! 8)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks derkit that's very interesting 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Is the

My Computer > Tools > Folder Options> View > Automaticaly search for network printers and folders

Option selected?

Normally, this adds/deletes shares automatically, thats been created/deleted?

4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

It was selected - I think that is set as default.

I thought that updated My Network Places or similar from a remote computer. I was trying to remove it from Computer Management console on the computer I had set up the share on, so no search would have been needed (I assume?)

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I realised that you were referring to computer management later on the night when i re-read it, couldnt be arsed to edit the post out...#

6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I know that feeling - I posted some either yesterday or today, really couldn't be bothered to change them! :biggrin