Removing a user from Active Directory, Recreating the user, and then associating with

Discussion in 'Software' started by mbrown, Jun 20, 2012.

1. mbrown

mbrown Bit Poster

Hello

I need to recreate a user account in Active Directory and then re-associate that account with the current mailbox being used by the same user.

Exchange version: 2010

Does anyone know how to do this?

I am also concerned about possible implications where, when sending emails from the cached list in outlook, that senders may receive NDR's.

Is it possible to reconnect a user account with an existing mailbox, without any issues..obviously making sure its done properly

kind regards

Matthew

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Have you looked into retrieving the tombstoned account from AD, how long ago was it deleted?

Take a look at this article: Recovering Deleted Items in Active Directory

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. mbrown

mbrown Bit Poster

Hi sorry about the late reply

I have to delete an account due to possible corruption. So bringing the account back to life, isn't an option.

I want to remove and then recreate, however i understand that there could be issues with the mail

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You can re-associate a user with a mailbox, you might just need to re-apply the permissions/SIDs. The best way to test it, is to try it with a test mailbox/user.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Just being curious, what's wrong with the account? Can't it be fixed with recreating local/server profile?

6. mbrown

mbrown Bit Poster

Does anyone know how to do this, or have a reference on it?

We have tried recreating profiles - also the same issue occurs for the same account on different machines...its an issue whereby the windows user account works with another in-house application that we use. Our 3rd party support provider has requested that we recreate the account.

If anyone could shed some light on how to re-associate the user with the mailbox and realign the security identifiers after recreation, that would be great.

If possible, can this be done via GUI or does power shell have to be used?

7. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

8. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Have you deleted it?

If so, find the identity of the deleted mailbox:

Code:
    Get-MailboxDatabase | Get-MailboxStatistics | Where {$_.DisconnectDate -ne $null} | Select DisplayName, Identity, Database, DisconnectDate
    Then run:

Code:
    Connect-Mailbox -Identity [I]mailbox identity[/I] -Database [I]database[/I] -User Domain\username 
    That should connect the disconnected mailbox to the existing user. It'll keep things like the LegacyExchangeDN parameter, so cached address lists shouldn't be a problem.

You should also be glad that you're not running a multi-tenanted deployment of Exchange 2010, because that process is nowhere near as simple!

9. cnrs.miss

cnrs.miss New Member

hii all , this is my first post , i join this group to benefit from your ideas and experiences and share my ideas ,
    i would ask about an application that runs on windows and works with sql database , this application should manage active directory users 's activities and determine a quota (Bandwidth consumption) for each user . if any user exceeded this quota , his connexion will be desactivated , i appreciate any help .