Removed user from domain now can't log into that account

Discussion in 'Software' started by zr79, Dec 15, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

I have a server that is down hardware fault i think, and various pc on that domain, so i had the wise idea of getting a certain user on the domain internet access by removing them from the domain via their pc and putting that once domain account onto a workgroup and now i can't log into that account, and after thinkiing about it that's what you would expect.

I could log onto the domain account beofre i put it onto a worgroup even though the server was down but now that it's on a workgroup i can't access that account although the account is still there as i logged onto another user account on that same pc and i could see the account in explorer.

So basically how do i put that account back onto a domain and be able to log in even if the server is down, i guess i could only do this via AD users and computers.

Any tricks around this?

Certifications: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you not just create a local account on the PC and use that?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Is the downed server the only Domain Controller in the domain? I'm guessing it is if you can't re-join the computer to the domain.

I think I've got this right, you removed the PC from the domain, then created a local account with the same name as the users domain account. If that is the case, you haven't actually moved the users account anywhere, its a new local account, which will have its own security Identifier, and it's own profile. The PC itself is where the account authentication takes place, rather than the server. Try logging on to the machine with the local administrator account, go to control panel, user accounts, and reset the users password. Then give loggin on a try.

Also, as its a new account, the profile (In C:\Documents and Settings - If your using XP, C:\Users, if using Vista or 7), will be a different folder. The old domain one will still be in place, and as an Administrator, you will need to manually copy the files etc over. E.g. The domain user one will be aUser.domainName, and the local one will be aUser.

HTH

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing