Remove previous owner..

Discussion in 'Software' started by kat731, Apr 11, 2008.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,

just been given an old P4 1.3. Its XP home genuine with key label on side. The previous owner has deleted most of their stuff-badly if you know what i mean.. I would redo the whole thing but i dont have XP home! They are still coming up as admin in folder perms etc, docs and settings in C: - local settings about 1gb of stuff. Cant seem to get rid-windows folder, needed for windows to run properly blah blah... any suggestions? before i trawl about for a copy of XP home!!

Kat:biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. DevilsAdvocate

DevilsAdvocate Bit Poster

Hi Kat,

I'm afraid the only suggestion I have is to create another admin account and try to delete the original one, don't know if it's even possible because in a situation like this i'd blitz the laptop and re-install XP personally.

On a related note, it's amazing how much stuff people leave on laptops / computers they give away or sell. I was setting up e-mail for someone recently and the old owner had left all of their e-mail accounts in Outlook Express along with lots of e-mails related to bank transfers, holiday bookings etc.

Rob.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE, Server+
  3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Thanks Rob,

yeh, try to get XP Home copy i think.
    I know, people either dont listen or are to lazy to do it properly.. Like dynamite the HDD!!!:twisted:

Kat

4. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I think it isnt possible to delete the "Administrator" account on XP.........you have the right idea, try and get hold of XP Pro if possible as that is better than XP home

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  5. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Kat, is the PC a named one like dell etc?

If so, there may be a hidden partition which holds the original software and that can be accessed to put the PC back to the same state it was in when it left the factory. Of course, if this was a "home built" system, that option may not be available.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  6. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Thanks guys,

yeh its a non branded PC, no ghost image or anythin.
    I know xp pro is better, but when theres a genuine key i prefer to use that, just need XP home cd!!

Kat

7. DevilsAdvocate

DevilsAdvocate Bit Poster

Hi Kat,

I'm not 100% sure on this but will the original key not be tied to OEM version installed on the laptop? and thus require you to use either an OEM disk or buy a new copy of XP?

Rob.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE, Server+
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If it is non-branded then SLP won't be in effect, and any OEM copy should install on it.

However - if you are going to be strict about licenses then you should really get a new copy.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have a genuine xp home disc and license that I do not need if you want it PM me and we'll sort something out :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I thought if you already had a valid license you could get the media from a dealer. Maybe it's just for enterprises, but when I did the software purchases the vendor would ask if I already had valid licenses and (upon showing proof) I could get the media (CD's at the time) for $20-$30 ea.

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Worst case scenario, you might be able to contact Microsoft for a copy of the OEM XP Home media. Cost would be low, considering you don't need a key.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Thanks everyone..

Kat:biggrin

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You could create a new user account, and use that profile for yourself and just ignore the junk in the old profile or delete it. You can and should re-name the administrator account anyway.

You can search the registry (using regedit not regedt32) and rename all occurences of the old user name to your perferred name.

Go into the Office apps and under Tools > Options User Info change the user details.

That might make you feel happier :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)