Removal of old domains/wrokgroups in My network Places

Discussion in 'Networks' started by philbenson, Jun 4, 2007.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

On the school network here there are two old domains or workgroups showing up in My Network Places which no longer exist. When you double click on them by mistake nothing happens of course but the mouse locks up until the server realises it can't contact anything.

How can I remove these entries or will they simply disappear after X amount of time?

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

If you're seeing these locally on your computer through My Network Places then that information is being populated by the master browser on your domain. This will probably be a local domain controller on your LAN.

I don't think you can stop the other domain and workgroup from appearing in the browser list without disconnecting the offending machines from the network, or joining them to the local domain.

The entries should disappear once the master browser fails to communicate with them for a set time. If there are still remnants of the old domain on the network then they will continue to show in the browser list.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

philbenson,

Questions:
    1. What domain structure do you currently have?
    2. What kind of domain were the "two old domains?"
    3. What kind of workgroup was the "old workgroup?"
    4. What kind of operating system is running on the client computers?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA