Remotely disabling a URL..

Discussion in 'Networks' started by J.Hinds, Jan 28, 2011.

1. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

I have a little bit of a problem.. I need to temporarily disable access to a certain website and then later in the evening allow access again and I need to be able to keep doing this on a daily basis for a little while. Now I know how to do this locally through the router, but I'm not sure how to do it remotely. Would I need to setup remote desktop? Is there a way to access the router over the internet? is there a program I can use to allow access at certain times and deny it at others? :blink

I actually have no idea where to begin so any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

- Jai -

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

What exactly are you doing at the minute to block this site? What device are you doing this from?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

At the moment I'm blocking access through the router and I'm doing it from a computer that is connected to it.. but I need to be able to do it from another location, is there a way for me to connect to the router remotely? Well there must be as it's connected to the internet, but I'm unsure how to do this... any advice?

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If I remember correctly, Websense can do that. However, it ain't cheap, so if you're looking to do this for a few users in a small company, you probably don't want to go to that expense.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Oh right that's good to know for future reference, however I'm only looking to do it for a single individual at present so probably wouldn't be worth it. I will look into it if there is no other way though.. but I'm sure there must be.

6. danielno8

Sorry i wasn't very clear in my original post. What device are you putting the control on, specifically, what model of router? Is it a web based configuration or by command line.

As ever, when you want to open something up for remote access, there will be security considerations you will need to take into account.

7. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

I'm unsure of the model of the router at present however I do know it is one supplied by Virgin. Is it different to connect to different types of routers? To my knowledge it's a web based configuration..

8. danielno8

If it's a home based router, they usually give you an option in configuration to allow access to the management interface (same one you use when connected locally) over the internet.

Another option, but would require your home PC to be on, would be to set up remote access software (VNC/go to my PC etc) on your PC to allow you access to your PC, which you can use to access the web management interface.

There are other options, just up to you to choose which one you feel is best.

9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

If it's one PC for a home user, stick an entry in the hosts file for the url pointing to the local loopback. Won't work against subdomains, but easy to implement if you have remote admin access to the machine and will work against the technically illiterate (provided you know they use that URL to access the site in question).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

This is the most popular entry in my house..

# block facebook
    127.0.0.1 login.facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 blog.facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 apps.facebook.com

:biggrin

11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Is this a website you control? or a website someone on your network is accessing that they shouldn't be?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

It's his missus, he's trying to keep her away from the on line bingo.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  13. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

If its the virgin home router, i.e the netgear, just log in as usual and enable the option to permit remote management.
    Also take a note of your public I.P address whilst you are there. This will be address youll need to log in remotely.
    Make sure if you do this that you have changed the default username and password, I assume you've done this already.

Also keep in mind that your public I.P will change periodically as they are normally issued by dhcp.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
    Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  14. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

:eek:

got it in one!

Nah I'm only kidding however it is a website someone shouldn't be accessing. Anyway.. it's all sorted now thank you for your input everyone, much appreciated!