Remote Network

Discussion in 'Networks' started by syntax_error, Feb 20, 2005.

1. syntax_error

syntax_error Bit Poster

On Friday my boss asked me to answer 'If I was building a remote network using the internet as transmission medium how I would do it?'

He told me to do research on some specific things like, IP addresses, Subnets, Routers, Firewalls, Proxy Servers, DMZ's and VPN's so I did and over the last couple of days I have 10pages of research but the only answer I have is set up a VPN but I'm guessing he wants me to elaborate on the answer.

Anyone have a little bit of wisdom to give me so I can get a fresh approach on this question? I'm only on work placement and he hasn’t set a deadline to find this stuff out but if I can turn up tomorrow with some kind of report for him, and show willing at the end of these 3 months he may even offer me a job.

Any help would be greatful

Certifications: mcp server2k
    WIP: Network Infrastructure
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

There are some important things to consider.

1) Security is number one if you are going to use a public medium such as the Internet, so VPN is the way.

2) L2TP with IPSec is more secure than PPTP, so go with that.

3) If you have firewalls you will need to configure them to allow the chosen packets.

4) ISA is a nice firewall that has a VPN wizard for your site and the remote site, so use ISA :biggrin

Subnetting can get really heavy, just remember that private networks have to use private ranges. If you are not sure check out www.learntosubnet.com

Proxy servers have nothing at all to do with remote networks, they just cache web objects centrally and manage FTP HTTP etc.

A DMZ is a subnet that is not part of your internal network. This is where you would place web servers etc that you want to make available to Internet users. I don't think it is relevant either.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)