Remote Desktop Connection problem

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by punkboy101, Dec 14, 2004.

1. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi All

Having a really strange problem. I have the "server" at the office enabled for remote access, so I can get in and do things fo the idiots I work for, and it's been working fine for weeks, and i know have this problem.

When I try to logon remotly, I get the following error message Unable to log you on because of an account restriction.
    , and here's the link to M$'s answer http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303846

The only thing that has changed, is the fact that machine was restarted this morning. It has worked fine for weeks, one restart, and it seems to have f$%&ed it. [​IMG]

I asked the guy at work what he did, and he claims he has changed nothing, so why would the password "disapear" from the account????[​IMG] Anybody encounterd anything like this before??

BTW, here is the story behind this. I was oblivious (blissfully) about this till about 20 minute's ago.

The power bill arrived this morning, and the boss decided that it was too much, and there must be something wrong with the plugs. So, they shut down everything, unplugged everything and proceeded to check the plug sockets, for sign's of "electricity leaks".[​IMG]

Now bearing in mind, he has already had the hot water pump removed (he uses a keetle to provide hot water) and refuses to put the heat on till it's -15 outside (or when it's about 5 C inside), we are not exactly talking about a couple of intellegent people here. He calls them, "his money saving techniques"

Thanks god I only stop in to pick up my paycheck these days.
    Anyway, I figured out that they had no network connectivity because they had unplugged the switches (quote from the boss "we need those??? Are you sure?!?!") and no internet connectivity because they had unplugged the router ("whats that do??? We don't need it do we?!?!) [​IMG]

But I still can't get in remotely.

I wish I was making this up, but unfourtunatly I have a boss who is always trying to save a buck. I can't wait to get a new job lol

Welcome to my life (AKA HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It sounds like this story needs to go in the a day in the life of a tech thread in just for laughs.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

No real solution to your problem but thanks for the laugh :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

No worries guy's, had to go in anyway to sort the network, and just put a password on for remote access.

I can only think that the salesman removed for it for some unknown reason. [​IMG]

Glad I could give you a laugh, I needed one yesterday for sure!

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Very funny Punkboy, I nearly choked on my morning coffee :biggrin

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm sorry punkboy but I've got to ask...Doesn't this moron you work for need his LAN to work and need Internet connectivity to do business? Doesn't business productivity (and thus profits) suffer when he doesn't have a working network?

With thinking like his, no wonder they need to save every penny...it's a sure fire bet that this guy isn't smart enough to run a successful business. Too bad we can't circulate your story on the Internet and have the world at large vote on just how stupid this cretin is...then show him the results. :P

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

Well, thankfully I no longer work for this plonker. [​IMG]

I Applied for a job a couple of months ago, and after my interview, the external company that handle's the reference's phoned to confirm my employeement status with them. They confirmed that i did indeed work for them, and then promptply phoned me to let me know that "they no longer needed me". I guess they didn't like the fact that I was looking for alternative employement. So I've had about 3 weeks off, and I am expecting the job offer next week hopefully.

Anyway, i did hear from them a couple of weeks ago,and it was the new tech, wanted to me to tell him how to identify a PCI modem, and how to install drivers (no joke!!!). I used a few choice words to tell him to stck it(not in the computer! lol)

What they don't realise, is that I am the only person with the password list, I offered to give the boss a copy of them when I changed them, but he said don't worry bout it.

So, it should be interesting to hear from them when they try to log into the server, mailserver, router, firewall or Zoneedit to name a few.

Lucky i've since managed to "lose" the info, and "erase" it from my memory lol

Could do some really bad things, [​IMG] but I'm not like that, so they lucked out in that sense.

Anyway, I should stop writting, and think about starting a blog somewhere other than here lol

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Same here when I got bagged from my place, Andy - I still have all their info, and I know they haven't yet changed the password list for the important stuff. I actually want them to, as there's no way I want to be accused of any mis-behaviour if something goes wrong there.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

And let us miss out on these gems? Sorry to hear about the problems you had with them but I think you're well shot of them.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

Hmmm, that strange, especially for a ISP. One of the first things that I do when starting at a new company, is change the passwords (if possible) so that whoever left behind me can't screw up my day.

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Not to try and sound too much like a boy scout, but you probably should have left them a copy anyway, before deleting the list from your computer. If they then choose to disregard it, that's there problem but at least they can't come back later and say, "Hey, we really need that list".

I can't believe the lack of security in some of these places. I know they get what they deserve, but at least we need to keep ourselves as clean as possible...especially when dealing with turkeys.

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Not really in this case - this was a place about as adept at managment as your former place, m8 :rolleyes:

I'm not overly worried, as I know that one of our guys who's left behind is now in control of all the secure systems, as is rigorously going through them all, resetting or just reinstalling any sytems that may be breached. He's a good mate, so I'll quietly help where I can...safe in the knowledge that I won't be in posession of any such information for much longer.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Who needs passwords :onthePC :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I see Bluerinse's evil twin has logged on using his account. :twisted: