Remote assistance frustration: MS press book simply doesn't help

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by csh, Oct 17, 2007.

1. csh

csh Bit Poster

So, I'm back again and need your advice/help.
    This one is on offering remote administration to clients.

What this book tells me to do is have the group policy for Offer Remote assistance set to enable and have an ip\username added to that list that exists on the local system and has administrative permissions as well as on the remote system (yes, I did a gpupdate to refresh all policies).

Second, I've already enabled Remote Assistance from Control Panel->System->Remote tab but when I try to Offer Remote assistance from my remote server (it's not part of any domain, nor is the client I'm trying to send the assistance) it tells me 'the remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable".

What this book forgets to tell me is that I have to set an exception to file sharing in Windows Firewall to be even able to ping his system by IP or name...so this is not the case as I already did that.

Having the firewall disabled on the client doesn't work either and gives me a "permission denied" error instead.
    And yes, I tried both enabling and disabling simple file sharing...it simply doesn't work.

Folks, I'm just at the beginning of the book and feel like loosing my mind with this stupid book.
    I have to tell you I didn't had such hard times when I was studying for Linux+.

So, I beg you, please help me out - I don't have any windows administration experience and I might lack the needed tips&tricks to get through this...

Thank you a million times in advance!

Certifications: Linux+, Network+, A+
    WIP: 70-290
  2. csh

csh Bit Poster

Ok, so I got it working to the point that I get a "permission denied" instead of "the remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable" - that with the firewall turned on. I managed to do this by adding another exception to the windows firewall on the client to open tcp port 135.

I already followed the book in adding more exceptions for helpsvc, helpctr and sessmgr for the client but still doesn't work :(

Do you guys have any idea what it could be?
    Given the error message I got this must be a permission issue but can't figure it out.

PS: And port 3389 was already open...

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you don't already have Windows administration experience, then why are you pursuing 70-290? According to Microsoft's 70-290 page, Microsoft recommends the following before pursuing 70-290:

Not just 6-12 months in IT... but 6-12 months actually doing those sort of tasks.

The book becomes much more clear when you've got some real-world experience behind you. :)

What OSes are you using? XP Pro and Server 2003?

Have you already tried everything here and here?

If 2003 to 2003, have you tried everything here?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. csh

csh Bit Poster

Great! Many thanks for the links, I'll try them out when I get back from work.

The reason I'm pursuing the MCSA not just 70-290 alone is, as I already stated in another post of mine that my employer wants me to get it. Our dept. is switching from Linux to Windows and wants everybody certified.

Now, I'm not scared about MS perquesites as I'm not scared of any certification perquesites at all.
    I know several people who got certs like MCSA/CCNA without any IT background at all, many of them being in other businesses as sales, custom service or even mining!

Hope these links will clear things out, at least for now :)

5. csh

csh Bit Poster

Just to clarify things, accepting remote assistance can be done without being part of a domain whereas offering remote assistance could be only accomplished if systems are part of the same domain?