rejection letter Again

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ence, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Yet again another rejection letter!

Maybe I shouldn't tick the yes box do you have a disability.
    no Interview, I spent days on application forum checking spelling, reword it, Ask someone else to look at it.
    Had to bloody fax it as there Exchange server was down, that cost me a fiver.

Jobcenter are nagging, I should take any work. They say that an future employee are more like to employ if I'm in work.

Is this so if the work is non IT based? :blink

FFS

2. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Dont worry Ence, im with ya, i dont even get a reply!!:rolleyes:

K

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes, employers don't like gaps in employment history and it'll be good for your self esteem to make your own cash. Employers would rather employ someone who has been working and studying rather than someone who was just studying.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Yep that just rude. The time and effort you put in to application forum they :x can't even be assed to email back

I didn't like to hear that GBL the truth hurts. Guess it's a wakeup call :(
    Tho a job is non I.T

*goes back to Writing the Killer CV thred & filling in applications

thanks

5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

the majority of IT jobs wont even respond to your application, if they dont respond within a week they wont at all. your best bet is to apply for as many as possible to get your CV out and about and hopefuly someone will take the bait.

most jobs just require you to send them your CV. theres a thread somewhere i posted about filling in applications and why they're such a waste of time.

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. greenbrucelee

Keep applying for the IT jobs but it'll look better to an employer if you are working whatever the job is.

7. AArcher

AArcher Nibble Poster

Keep trying my sister-in-law whos at the high end of IT recruitment applied to over 200 jobs before getting a job!

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA 2006 A+
  8. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

you could always get a part-time shop assistant job, you can always use that on your CV for customer service type skills.. As well as getting the job centre off your back it will also leave you time to study and any IT related voluntary work you might pick up will help... just keep applying thats the only way you will get there in the end :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  9. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Tell the JC that your field is IT and you won't be working in any other sector. Try not to go from IT role to non-IT role then back to IT role again. It doesn't do your CV any good, so tell the Job Centre to piss off if that's the case.

10. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Pretend that you're the employer for a while:

1. Your qualifications are likely to be matched by someone in work, even if it isn't IT. This would lead the employer into thinking why are you going for all of these qualifications if you are not prepared to work whilst you look.
    2. If you are not prepared to work, what is there to indicate that you are prepared to work hard if given a job.
    3. Studying is easier than working fulltime (depending on the level of education undertaken).

For many employers these points would send your CV to the bin. Get yourself a job, and that includes any job! Show that you are both prepared to work and study hard to achieve your goals. If you won't someone else will. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I feel your concerns Ence, as I too had to work odd jobs whilst still sending out loads of job applications and CV to online recruitment agencies. I think your attitude can determine how serious you're in getting your next role.

If I were you I'd start applying for IT short term contract roles so this way you're still working in an IT role. Eitherway, you just have to hit the job search hard as something would eventually turn up.

Best wishes and don't get too stressed about it, just get on with it.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps try and get a part time job so that you can study while looking for that first IT job?

If it helps I drove a van for a living while I was looking for my first full time IT job! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Not particularly good advice if he hasn't actually ever worked in IT - I don't think he has. Even if he has worked in IT before, I'm afraid telling the job centre 'I work in IT' without about five years' solid, unbroken experience isn't going to cut much ice with them. Telling them you won't accept anything other than an IT job, even if you don't tell them to 'piss off' will probably just end up with your dole money being stopped. Jobcentre staff are under increasing pressure to either find people work or stop their dole. This will only get worse as they get instructed from on high to be tougher on people during the recession - the government doesn't want people on the stats claiming to be unemployed - they'd rather put them in the 'unemployable' pile, at least that way they can go on trying to convince everyone that everything's going to be OK with the economy.

Whilst the advice about employers not particularly wanting someone who has moved from IT to non-IT and then wants to get back in again is pretty sound, I'm afraid that needs must for most people. The ability to put food on the table and pay the ever-increasing gas bill is, in the end, more important than finding an IT job specifically.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. greenbrucelee

Yep this is why I said you should work any job, an employer is far more impressed by someone who works doing a job they don't like than someone who does nothing because they are not doing what they wan't.

15. postman

postman Byte Poster

What I was always told was that it is easier to get a job from a job than from not.

My advice is to get any job but aim for one that includes an IT department that you can talk to and try to gain some experience with them (even Tescos have an IT department and I'm sure like all businesses they like people who are willing to work/learn/gain experience for free).

WIP: A+
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, it is best to be *in* a job when searching for a new job.

In saying that the job I’m in now required an immediate start and at the time I had just been made redundant so that kinda worked out ok. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

part-time, job that invloves dealing with the public will at least go some way in getting an IT job ID say and + get the job centre off your back.. will also give you more interview experience as most of the retail jobs I applied for involved group interviews.. so they where quite daunting in their own right.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ahh - ya just... ya just couldn't have picked a worse example than Tesco!

I project managed the chip & pin rollout for them (on the engineering side) a few years ago. Subcontracted to a subcontractor of a subcontractor! Their IT is almost all outsourced (or was then) to Siemens, with the hardware side farmed out to Wincor/Nixdorf. You would have more chance of getting IT experience in MI6!!

Sage advice though - even though most large companies won't let you touch their IT (those that even have an in-house IT department anymore!) medium sized companies are often crying out for interested and talented people from within the workforce to help out. I'm pretty sure there is still a route into IT from within the workforce for small and medium sized companies.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  19. postman

postman Byte Poster

Whoops!! :oops: just an example off the top of my head but considering I work for Royal Mail and their IT department has been/will be decimated I should have known.

SMEs are maybe the best way to go:biggrin

Although there is always the option of self employment (I know very scary for most but is always an option).

WIP: A+
  20. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I got my first IT job by first taking a temp job working in their spare parts warehouse. I saw the job advertised, packing and booking in/out parts in a warehouse. I had done stuff like that before so it was easy to get in there (my plan was to get a foot in the door then try and move departments). I knew they had a tech call centre and repair centre in another building in the city, so I worked my ass off in the warehouse, made a name for myself and then started to pester the HR woman to get me into one of the other departments. I had not quite got my A+ (was about two weeks from the exam) when I was invited to an interview for a call centre job. The rest is history.

I agree with the others, getting a job is easier if you have a job already. Something customer facing will give you good experience, if you are planning to go the first line support route in to IT try getting a job in a call centre of some sort (even if its at Orange or 118 or something). It will be perfect experience to add to your computer skills to get you that first line support call centre job.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation