Rejected from a job on the basis that I would get bored

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Len, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Len

Len Byte Poster

I was rejected from an admin assistants position because they thought I would get bored. I mean, the interview was full of the guy complementing on my academic achievements and the fact I could speak english clearly.. which is very rare in this town but still...

I'm in shock.

What was the real reason?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That you would get bored... probably because you have such good academic achievements.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Len

Len Byte Poster

Yes, because I would bother going to an interview for a job that I have no interest at all in.

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually I have had people refuse to interview me because they thought I was over qualified for a position, I had to put a lot of pressure on them to actually interview me, they did, I got the job and spent 19 months working for them so you're not alone.

I would honestly suggest that they told the truth and also that they would be worried that sooner rather than later you would simply move on. After all a crappy job is better than no job and I would suggest that their thinking is that as soon as something better came along you would be off. Again their thinking, why waste the time and effort on someone who is more than likely going to leave sooner rather than later.

Please understand that these are my thoughts on this and they may not actually be the reason.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You scoff, but it's a consideration employers HAVE to take seriously. You might say you want that job now... but then end up being truly bored out of your gourd 2 months later. And when you find a job you ARE interested in - one that challenges you intellectually - you'll leave that employer high and dry, and they'll have to find, hire, and train someone all over again.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Very good point Mike.

I applied last year for the assistant network manager job at a school and didn't even get an interview. I follwed up and managed to speak to the Deputy Head in charge of the role and was told they thought I was over qualified and wouldn't find it challenging enough. They were after someone who would stick it out for several years and provide some continuity at the school - fair enough.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)