Regretting turning down a job offer

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by djw, Jun 14, 2012.

1. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Hi,

I just have a quick question about turning down a job offer. Has anyone regretted turning down a job offer and so then got in contact with the company that made the offer enquiring if the position is still open or, if not, being considered for future roles?

Thanks,

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I have never been in that situation - all i would say is you have nothing to lose by getting back in touch!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Thanks for the reply. I may do, it has been a little while since this happened so fairly sure the job has gone, plus not sure how to word it without it looking like I didn't think they were the right company to work for but now I do.

Cheers

4. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

^^^ Definetly, theres no harm in asking.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

And there in lies the problem. You turned down the job before and were I the company would have second thoughts about hiring you this time around because of that. Harsh I know but if you didn't want my first job whats to stop you leaving me when something better comes along for you?

Yes I know sometimes there are reasons for not accepting a role and they could be very real but there would always be a doubt.

I was always told never to never look back and the same applies for jobs usually, only once in my career have I ever gone back to a company again, the first time I was there for 18 months (as a contractor), the second for only 6 before I left (actually they wanted me to stay but authorisation came to extend me came 2 weeks after I left the company again, at which point I told them I was not interested in coming back).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Thanks for the responses - some valid comments. Might give it a whirl anyway and see what happens - nothing venture, nothing gained I suppose. The worst that could happen is that they tell me to bugger off I suppose.

Cheers