Registry...

Discussion in 'A+' started by Mr.Cheeks, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

...so every program you install on your computer, it is noted within the Registry? If that is correct, then when you install programs on Drive D, and format your o/s on C:, how come the programs you installed on D show up when in add/remove programs once you have installed an o/s?

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Are you talking a dual-boot scenario here, ie OS on C: and separate OS on D: ? Or OS: on C:, with D: a "clean slate" to install apps, data, etc ?

Your question was too vague to answer straight off :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It seems to be the second, at least thats my interpretation of it.

They show up because regardless of where you install them to Windows knows about them because you are installing them onto windows. the drive makes no difference, you still usually use an MSI to install them.

8)

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on the program. Some versions of windows have lists of well-known 3rd-party software that they are able to recognize. They do this because some of them need special treatment for compatability reasons.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Lets all just ignore that 1st question, cuz that is i was talking complete and utter b0ll0ck$ cuz looking at my system now, what i thought would of happened, did not happen which will lead to Question 2.

-----------

I formated my comp and (clean) installed mce... What i thought happened was; the SWAT would of been listed within add/remove programs, and just checked it isnt. Which is what should happen (i think), so you can ignore that part of my post..

Question 2

So now I have not got SWAT listed within my add/remove programs, how do i go by uninstalling this when i have no uninstall program within the directory, nor in add/remove and do not want to use any 3rd party program...

Sorry about the confusion... ...and am ever sorrier if your even more confused...

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Apologies for the ignorance, but:

1) What is MCE
    2) What is SWAT

:oops:

7. Mr.Cheeks

MCE = Media Centre Edition
    SWAT = Special Weapons and Tactics (That is a game in this instance)

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I should have known that! :oops:

Is there an uninstall on the start menu? If not then I'd suggest putting the SWAT CD in and trying to remove from the CD.

9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

If I understand you correctly, you installed the progs on the 2nd HDD, reformatted the c:\ and reinstalled windows. These progs are still on the d:\ but not listed in the add/remove progs window. They were listed before when they were installed but not now.

If that's the case they were uninstalled from windows when you formatted the c:\. As far as I cab see they are not installed into windows and as they are on another disk I would venture that just deleting the files would be fine :D

Edit: Either that or even safer, reinstalling the progs to the same original place and then uninstalling them properly

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. Mr.Cheeks

and what happens if you lent your cd out and that f*ker :twisted: broken it thats the reason for the uninstallation??? what happens then

How sure are you? 100% or 101%?

EDIT: AJ - i did not uninstall them from Windows - they are still installed but installed on drive D, which is where my game saves are... OS is installed on C:

11. AJ

100% never that confident about 99%

Try moving them to the recycle bin or to the c:\ and rename the main folder. This way you will still have the files, but they can not be recognised by windows.

12. Mr.Cheeks

:blink :blink :blink :blink :blink :blink :blink
    Im CONFUSED.com!

I dont want that game on my computer no more...
    my head hurts, i cant think straight, i've got smokey vision, cant sleep and confused :blink

I just delete that game and my os will work fine and i live happily ever after?

13. AJ

Have you tried running them?

14. Mr.Cheeks

the game asks for cd, aint got it no more, thats why i wanna delete it...

15. AJ

well try searching through the registry for the .exe file for the prog, if it's there you can't just delete it, if not I would say you are safe to move the files.

16. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If the game was installed on D: - and you wiped and installed the OS on C: as new, and the game doesn't appear in the uninstall list, then the game isn't 'installed' any longer.

Just delete the directory on D:

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+