Registry cleaner

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey guys,

I was wondering how many of you use registry cleaners such as Registry mechanic, etc. And does it really help the registry or screws it up instead?

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i use reg mechanic prob like one a month or so, i hasnt messed my pc up (of course i back the registry before doing the clean) but honestly, haven't noticed the diff in system speed, but it does clean the reg.. or so it says...

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Which is why I don't use one at all! <cynic mode on!>

XP and relations do a small amount of cleaning on startup I believe, and I never felt I needed anything more.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

but im a pedantic SOB and your not!

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I don’t use one, I try not to install and uninstall software constantly to keep the registry under control.

Keep a basic build on your PC\laptop and there shouldn’t be a need to run any registry tools. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er -
    that is being pedantic? :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have used them in the past and they say they have removed all sorts of unnecessary/orphan entries but to be honest, I have never noticed any performance boost at all. I think the makers of these products are overstating their usefulness.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

hey guys, thanks for the replies like you guys said I havent noticed a performance difference either. I was skeptical about these software but I have used them in the past as a habbit I guess. I would run the antivirus scan, defragment, run the ad-aware cleaner, etc and the reg mechanic. Now obviously all of those things are good to do but about the reg mechanic I was never really sure if its worth the time to run. A few said it was actualy making things worse for them, personally never had an issue with reg mechanic, but I thought to ask you guys since you guys tried many things you would definitly know.

So thanks agin guys.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  9. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Big fan of format c: :twisted:

Seriously, I normally don't install software unless I'm absolutely sure of it --- most people I know are like kittens, and they'll click on anything, or install every demo and trial known to man. This leads to bloated registries, particularly on a poorly coded program that has little/no uninstall routines. Even so, I've seen programs run through UninstallShield, and still leave a bunch of crap behind. Regardless, most registry 'mechanics' are like their real-world counterparts -- they break more than they fix :rolleyes:

That said, I have had some good experiences with CCleaner.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hehe, that is the ultimate reg cleaner! :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

lmao oh it cleans pretty well and works wonders. Good one Fortch.

Fortch: I heard about this application before but never tried it. I will now thanks for pointing it out.

12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The only clean up tool that I use is CCleaner. Cleans out all the cr@p nice and simple. 8)

13. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Crap cleaner rocks so another vote for that!

I also use Registry Seeker from time to time

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  14. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive used registry mechanic and JV16 (think its called that), they seem to find loads of stuff, but like has been said above, i havent noticed much of a change.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I just tried out CCleaner and it seems to work good, I like the fact that it is small resource program and works just as well if not better then some other ones that I used.

16. pvp

pvp Bit Poster

Inever used Regeditor etc
    But recently got a cleaner called Amust Registry cleaner
    Its wonderful to use but
    No boost in performance

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: MCSA