refund from advent

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by darrylbrown28, Apr 3, 2009.

1. darrylbrown28

darrylbrown28 New Member

i signed up for advent 10 months ago. when i went to the first workshop for the 2nd time the lecturer advised us that 'only about 70% of the material needed to pass the exam was in the book supplied'.

as far as i am concerned this indicated a breach of contract as i was told that all study material to pass the exams would be supplied.

anyone have an opinion on this or any advice on what i should do. or if anyone has been down this route with them

daz

2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Ok while I appreciate that you are upset I think the instructor is talking rubish. The stuff they use now is the All in one book by Mike Meyers which is what everyone use to pass on here. Also the stuff not covered in the book is covered on the course.

If you are nt happy with the stuff they are giving you, get some more, But I think that it is enough to pass that exam.

Also they will have no legal obligation to refund you as you have been on the course for 10 months and this exempts them from the distance selling regulations.

Out of interest which instructor was it, I am also an advent student and there are some instuctors there I rate and others I don't so it will be interesting to see which one said this to you.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Riaz

Riaz Bit Poster

are you using all in one by Mike Meyers? i used that book and passed, i dont know what course material advent uses...

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: CIW Web Design
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably no such thing tbh, there are some books that many people recommend for particular exams but this is often backed up with lab work, resources from the web and even additional books.

It basically varies from person to person.....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Gingerdave

They got the license to use the All in one and use that along with 4 class room days for some practical stuff.

6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I agree with Sparky - practical application will play a major part in reinforcing the book to enable you to pass the exam.

They say "the material to enable you to pass the exam" or similair - not "a book that will enable you to pass the exam".

If you're worried about it, buy the Mike Meyers "All in One" (if that's not what they're using on the course). It's the be-all-and-end-all of A+ study as far as opinion seems to be orientated. And if that IS what you're using on the course, I think your instructor has underestimated the book.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry - can you clarify what you've been doing for the last 10 months?
    Have you been actively studying at home, attending classes or doing SFA?

Just to get a perspective...

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

The OP doesn't mention the A+? Or have I missed something?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I thought the same thing :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Gingerdave

I had missed that, in which case I imagine the OP is now doing the MS exams in which case depending on which exam you are doing that 70% may be true.