reformatting

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Feb 27, 2009.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I dont have a windows disc but i know where i can get a fake one for nothing and i want to put it on a laptop thats riddled with spyware and viruses. The laptop in question has a genuine windows sticker on it just not the disc to go woth it, can i do this???? I mean put the fake disc in and then put the correct key in ??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. badkarma

badkarma New Member

I'd be cautious about the fake disc - it too could have nasties on it.

Depends on the version of windows and also its type such as XP and whether its SP1 or SP2 key etc and whether its "Home" or "Pro", "Corporate/OEM" etc

But to me, if your laptop has a sticker on it with a licence key then you should be entitled to install that version of windows on it so go ahead and install Windows - but preferrably from a genuine disc - and hope the key fits.

3. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

not that I'd know, but a bloke in a pub once told me:

Most of the pirate discs are XP pro, if this is a home laptop it will probably be XP home and thus incompatible.

Karma is bang on the money with whether its an OEM copy etc. If you phone up the laptop manufacturer there may be a hidden partition or possibly they may even sell you a recovery disk on the cheap. Its worth having a look at there site and maybe giving there tech-support a call - this makes it a lot easier as u wouldn't have to crack the copy and mess about with illegal things (which I would never do)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Many laptops these days do not have a CoA key that will work. Too many people have tried this, and the system was changed a few years ago.

The *correct* way to fix a laptop is to use the CDs that came with it - but many people have lost these.

Otherwise it is a case of buying a good copy of Windows, and then finding all the drivers.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. marcin_rys

marcin_rys Nibble Poster

Hi

Firstly I will do what "Lev Arris" suggested, check if there is any hidden partition (by My Computer -> (right click) Manage -> Disk Management and check if there is any hidden partition (usually EISA) or anything bigger than 2GB). If not then you can use Genuine Disk from any other PC (desktop) with the same version (Home Edition, Pro or Media Centre) [service pack doesn’t make any difference). Install from this CD providing license from the back of the laptop.
    I was dealing with this kind of situations and even contact MS regarding this – they don’t like this way:twisted:. But it works. If you goanna use pre-cracked versions of XP you will have to remove activation files and key in your serial number.

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSA, CCNA
  6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

Lev Harris is correct about a possible setup kit partition - I must be getting old as I missed your word "laptop" - if you cant seem to find the partition, it may still be there- just it may be hidden - but have a look at the laptop screen the first few seconds after powering up - does it give you a "Press F1 for Setup / Utilities" etc?

I know the newer IBM Thinkpads (I am typing on one currently) have a setup kit partition and you press the blue "THINKPAD" button to activate this a couple of seconds after power on.

Other manufacturers do different things, HP might be "F10", Compaq may be "F8" ...

Go the the manufacturers website and download the manual (usually in PDF format) - this might tell you if there is a "secret" button you press which may not normally be indicated on screen just after power up which will get you into the "secret" bit to do the reinstall - once you are in there, its usually just a confirmation to proceed that it asks you and then it goes off and does its stuff - 30 minutes or so later you are up and running again...