references

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Boycie, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

as i have only had 2 jobs in my life i'm not quite sure what the form is with references.
    Do prospective employers ask you current employer to answer yes or no or is it a written piece?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

The losing employer will generally write a glowing appraisal (or otherwise) about you, for and on the request of the gaining employer.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Not sure how this is handled in the UK, but in the US, you provide references upon request, as opposed to stating them on the CV. Also, to avoid lawsuits, most companies will now only acknowledge that you worked for them and your dates of employment.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks guys. I have just applied for another job and hope to get to that stage! :D
    I work for a big company who usually do things "to the letter" so i can't see them playing dirty should someone contact them :rolleyes:

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I was a manager for 14 years in England and as far as I know from giving references and receiving references there are two ways. First employees sometimes ask for a reference when they leave, this is fine, if the employee was professional, productive and reliable but there was more than one occasion that someone asked me for a reference after I had sacked them for incompetence. Clearly then I would only say that they worked for us, I would not write anything defamatory for obvious reasons. The fact is that most people involved in recruitment realise this, so if someone doesn't give a glowing reference than the potential employee is probably a no hoper.

The other type of reference is the phone call. If a company asks for references on a job application, they will wait until you have left that job before contacting them. In the UK people often start on a trial period and so it is during this trial period that the phone rings. They will ask candid questions and it is up to the individual how he responds. Again, it is easy to give a glowing account of some people but not so easy with others!

The moral of the story is don't burn your bridges!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Pete,

Thanks for the input. The latest job which i am hoping for an interview asks for two references. One, must be your current employer but they say they won't contact them unless they are going to offer you a position.
    I have caused no bother for my current employer and don't take time of sick, so can't see a problem.

7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Boyce- I burnt my bridges at my 2nd from last position, I also took quite a few sickies from the last place I was at too! The council collected References from both firms and all turned out ok! I was honest with them on my sickness issues and some of the issues that I had at another firm! I still got the job!

Personally, I don't think references are really that much of a big deal...as long as they back up what you state on your CV/Application form then all should be ok! Only a very brave HR Dept will dish out a negative reference...most will just quote the "from and to" dates that you worked there!

Sorry to go off topic Boyce...but I thought i'd give you my tuppence worth!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

What a coincidence, I was thinking about references today as well. Great advice here, thanks. I was a bit worried cos my current manager hates me. But I can always ask another manager to give me a reference.

You'll be fine Boyce. No need to worry :D

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I could be way off base here, but at least in the US, it isn't your direct manager that gives the reference, it's the HR department...at least in a company large enough to have one.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

Hmm, the forms I've come across has asked for the manager you report to. But sometimes, they do contact the HR department.

I work for quite a small company at the moment, and get to work with everyone. So for me, I guess it'll be kinda like okay if I ask another manager for a reference. Well, I hope so anyway! :rolleyes:

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Yup, IMHO, there is some flexibilty in the UK at least - as long as the person you state is in a postition to directly comment on your abilities in that role, then (s)he is qualified to be a referee.

12. drum_dude

In my experience, the larger type company's HR Dept will deal with a reference as a matter of policy as they are clued up on the problems that can be caused by references. However, smaller firms can do what they please if they haven't got a policy iin place!

A recruitment consultant once told me that anything on Company Headed note paper will do...meaning that your work-mate's reference on headed note paper will do!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  13. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

thanks for the advice guys. Phew, I can sleep in peace and not worry about this. :p

Btw, the current company I'm working at didn't even bother to check my references!

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That happens quite a lot actually, mainly in smaller companies where the managers do the recruiting and they don't necessarily have time to follow up properly. Interviewing lots of job applicants takes time and effort. It can go on for days or even weeks. So managers get behind in their other duties and following up references gets put on the to do list. In my case the to do list read like War and Peace :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

The other alternative is when the request for a reference for the new job comes into your old job whilst you're still working your notice period. Then the boss opens it, reads it, then says to me (I mean you :rolleyes: ) "Write your reference, I'll sign it". 8)

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  16. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

All the best with the job process, Boyce!
    Hopefully, you will successfully secure employment
    in the job you want! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Lots of people don't understand refrences, including the people who give them and request them.

The best way to get a refrence is to phone the person listed and have a chat. This will immediately tell you if that person is a bit shifty, vague or just doesn't have a clue who the person is that he is giving a refrence for.

Most companies nowadays seem to use a form, which is usually a single sheet of A4. Your old boss has to tick little boxes like 'How would you describe their timekeeping? Poor Average Good.' These are quite soul destroying. They tell you nothing useful about the person, but companies like them because they are standardised and easy to colate.

It's important to be honest in a refrence. If you lie and slag off the applicant because you didn't like them - they might find out and sue you for lible/slander/loss of earnings/defamation of character etc. If you lie and say they were great because you're glad to get rid of them and the new employer finds out, they can try and sue you for misrepresentation of something but I forget what.

Don't burn your bridges is quite right though. I had a little guy working for me once. He knew it was only a part-time job and he wasn't going to be there forever. He was young and it may even have been one of his first jobs.
    He did nothing but wind me up for nearly a year. His sickness was bad, his attitude was bad, the lot. He drifted off eventually when we ended his temp contract.
    The great thing was, I was still getting applications for refrences from him two years later. We were obviously his only previous employer, and I was the only one who remembered him.
    I had great fun filling those in.
    I even had one from the Police force. I phoned them up just to make sure they understood...
    :twisted:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  18. drum_dude

lol Jonny! :)

BTW, congrats on hitting the 400 post mark! I'm right behind ya m8!

19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Gosh, that's a lot of waffle, isn't it?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Shut it !!! :dry

:tongue