References Available on Request?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by free.heron, Mar 26, 2011.

1. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

I recently read that it is assumed that references will be available on request so you should not waste the space on your CV by writing that. What are your thoughts on it? Should I drop it off?

Certifications: ITIL v3
    WIP: CCENT
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I dont think i have had it on my resume for years
    but then again i've only had references collected once :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

That was possibly me that said it, if you read it on another thread. I stand by my opinion to be honest. Every employer expects references when you are offered (and accept) a job. So if it's a basic requirement, why bother wasting valuable space with a worthless statement? You might as well fill that with "Likes: Cats".

That is space you could be using to detail why you are worthy of the job, particularly if you are struggling for space on a CV (eg if you subscribe to the "Two pages" philosophy).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'd echo that and one more thing. If I saw it on a CV I would immediately assume you had just downloaded a template off the internet and put your own stuff on it which is a detractor for me.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Been on my CV for years, no problems so far. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

I've nuked it from my CV.. don't think it would make too much of a difference but I guess every little helps

7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Personally I can't imagine anyone getting to the end of someone's CV thinking "Mmm, looks good...I like the sound of this person....Hang on, references available on request..what a moron..straight in the bin with this one."

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

I believe its more about saving space for other more important details.

9. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

That's a bit of a daft conclusion to come to IMO, given the amount of people who believe (rightly or wrongly) it has a place on their CV.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  10. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

I'd personally leave it off, however if you're CV is really sparse it does no harm to leave it on.