Redundant IT Technician......needs some advice

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by it_si, Feb 10, 2009.

1. it_si

it_si New Member

Hello All

First post! Until November I had been an IT technician with 3 Years experience, mainly desktop support but for the last 8 months started to support Active Directory & Exchange.

So, I dont have any real IT qualifications but here in Wales I am eligible for funding up to £2500, I am now looking at the various crash courses available as the money has to be spent with a training provider rather than self study.

Anyone have any advice on what to do? Or recommend any providers?

Many Thanks

Si

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I wouldn't recommend any but can you not spend the money on setting up a study lab and buying the equipment and materials for it, and also to fund exams?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would recommend looking at the MCDST & the MCSA. Try your local colleges first as you can normally get more "bang for your buck" :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. it_si

it_si New Member

Thanks for the advice so far, I will call the funding bods and clarify the situation on self cert.

MCSA looks like a good option too.

si

5. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I've had a lot of success with Firebrand Training. Might be worth having a look at them.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  6. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

LISTEN to the guy

He has money to spend with a TP not self study.............give it a rest

7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Are you high?

Not one person so far has said anything about self-study, because they actually READ THE POST.

*sigh*

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

chill dude!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  9. Mr Machfisto

Is this not self study?

10. Qs

No. A study lab is a good idea to supplement training from a training provider.

A lot of training provider material is home-based! Even if the material provided by the TP was on-site, then you'd still be advised to do additional work, at home, where such a lab would be very useful.

Geddit?

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. Mr Machfisto

I agree it is s supplement for the course, but the fact is that GBL has advised the guy to spend the money on building a lab and not go go with a TP.

Geddit!!:dry

12. Qs

If you read the original post:-

GBL's post was a question, not a statement:-

The answer to said question is no, because it's funding, so any study has to be through a training provider (as stated in the original post)

...so the point of recommending self-study is moot.

Now please stop being an arse, you're making my head hurt.

Qs

13. Mr Machfisto

lol............I'm just in one of those agitated moods today.:twisted:

14. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Code:
             \|||/       
             (o o)       
    ,----ooO--(_)-------.
    | Please            |
    |   don't feed the  |
    |     TROLL's !     |
    '--------------Ooo--'
            |__|__|      
             || ||       
            ooO Ooo      

I cant comment on an individual TP, but I would suggest that you attempt to get a TP (or college) that has class-based training. Certainly for myself, I tend to learn better in a class/practical based environment than studying on my own.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

When can we ban this troll? :dry He posts only on threads related to training providers, and he constantly causes trouble by purposely and aggressively twisting others' words.

For the record, I'd expect you guys to throw me out on my ear if I only responded to posts about practice exams and intentionally misrepresented/twisted what others are saying about them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Suggest you do Cisco IT Essentials 1 which would help you pass CompTIA A+.
    Then Cisco IT Essentials 2 + some self study to get CompTIA Network+.
    Then with any money left over try Cisco Discovery or the full blown CCNA.

Well thats my views if i had £2.5k to blow on training!:D

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  17. BosonMichael

Si - welcome to the forums! I can't really recommend any training providers, as I got all of my certifications through self study. However, I would recommend that you scan this forum for other threads related to training providers... there have been some success stories, and there have been some absolute horror stories, so arm yourself with as much information as possible.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend you spend more than the funding you've been granted. :)

Considering your experience, the Network+, MCDST, and MCSA would be right up your alley. If you don't have the A+, it wouldn't hurt to get it, but it's not an absolute requirement.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  18. it_si

it_si New Member

Some great advice, which I appreciate.

I have an interview with Careers Wales in the morning & I will put the self cert route to them as I would like to start with the A+ as I havent taken an exam in a very long time! This would also enable me to do much more with the money.

Si

Oh and a bit of a delay replying as I am still under moderation for the first few posts.

19. Mr Machfisto

What's the matter BM, is it because I don't buy your products???

This forum is an open forum, you have your views I have mine. I like TP's and highly recommend them, you don't

What's the problem.

ADMIN STAFF, if you would prefer I leave the site, then fine.

20. BosonMichael

No... it's because, as I said, you consistently and intentionally misconstrue and mischaracterize what almost everyone on here says... including this very post.

I don't want you banned because you prefer training providers - there are plenty of people on here that prefer training providers who are fine forum members. And I never said I wanted you banned because you don't buy my products. I said I wanted you banned because you're a forum troll, and your post I quoted is a *perfect* example of why you ought to be removed from this forum.