Red Hat in VMWare: Puzzle 1

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by tripwire45, Aug 7, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This wouldn't be a problem if I knew anything about Linux at all. On a whim I installed RH 9.0 in VMWare last night. Install went like a charm. Then I went to install VM Tools. Typically they act like they install from the CD-ROM which is normal. In RH Linux, they appear as a tar file. I went to extract it and seem to be hitting a snag. I "looks" like it wants me to tell it to select a location to extract to and offers either /. or /.. as locations. Trouble is, no matter what I choose, when I click OK, it "blinks" and does nothing. I've selected all files so it should extract them from the tarball all at once.

I know it's a simple Linux thing so I'm choosing to humiliate myself here among friends rather than ask on a Linux forum. :oops:

Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok you slackers. No answers yet, huh? I found out I have to reboot into the shell *without* x-window being up and running in order to install VMWare tools. Great. How do I reboot without XWindow starting automatically? Edit the boot record, right? I've forgotten how. Lessons?

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

you can kill X windows with Ctrl Alt and Backspace (u have to change your vmware key to Ctrl Alt and Shift or something
    altho modern distros tend to just reload x when u do this

change to another shell (Ctrl Alt F2 - F7) F1 already has the X crap running, and F8 usually IS the X windows session, this ofcourse varies by distro

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks, Phoenix. Actually, I already found the answer. The procedure in VMWare 4.51 is to go up to VM in the toolbar and click to install VMWare Tools. Then go back into the virtual machine in XWindows and press Cntl+Alt+f1. XWindow is immediately killed and you have to log in at the shell as root. From there, the instructions are in the manual that comes with your VMWare software.

Long and the short of it, I got them installed and all is right with the world (well...as far as this project goes thus far). :)