Red Hat fesses up to Fedora FOSS security fiasco

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Red Hat fesses up to Fedora FOSS security fiasco

A week or so ago, end users of the Linux-based Red Hat Fedora OS were warned to avoid downloading packages due to an "issue in the infrastructure systems" which waved big red flags suggesting a security breach to many industry observers. Now Fedora has admitted Red Hat OpenSSH packages were compromised by two separate server intrusions...

It all started with a highly cryptic Fedora-Announce mailing list posting which stated that "The Fedora Infrastructure team is currently investigating an issue in the infrastructure systems. That process may result in service outages, for which we apologize in advance."

Fair enough, that kind of thing happens, apology accepted. What was less acceptable was the bit which went on to say that "We’re still assessing the end-user impact of the situation, but as a precaution, we recommend you not download or update any additional packages on your Fedora systems."
    Now, most sane-brained people would read that and think 'avoid downloading packages on Fedora systems' + 'issue in the infrastructure systems' = SECURITY BREACH!

Read here for the whole story.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments