Recruitment Agencies

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 20, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What are you your experiences with recruitment agencies?

A couple of weeks ago I registered my CV with Monster, CWjobs and Jobserve. Since doing this all I get from Monster are jobs which have nothing to do with the profile I entered, CWJobs sneds me the odd interesting vaccancy and Jobserve does exactly what I want it to.

Since registering with Jobserve I have had 4 telephone calls about positions available this week from recruiters of HR staff who have seen my CV on Jobserve.

So I would recommend jobserve over the other two.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good and bad.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm getting pretty frustrated with them at the moment. I've had about five of them contact me over the past two weeks for the same 6 month position at HP. This is actually HP's fault for using multiple agencies to fill their jobs. I get these "urgent requests" via email and by phone to fill this job ASAP only to find it's the same job I've already applied for. I even get the same recruiter for the same company contacting me twice or more for the same job, as if they've forgotten that we've already talked. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Agencies are the spawn of the devil :twisted: as far as im concerned. I always think I'll give them one more chance when itchey feet strike. But each time they try and shoehorn you into jobs that either arnt relevant, or more often that not are miles away from where you've stated you want to work.

Also I think alot of jobs on their sites are just shop window jobs and not rea ones at all.

After a couple of days of that i go back to the age old way of looking through the local rags and seeing whats in there.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

GBL, check out www.jobsite.co.uk as I find the site useful as well in terms of IT job search. On the other hands just play safe with recruitment agents as they're sales people.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. greenbrucelee

I have had 18 emails today and only 3 of the jobs on those emails were suitable for my experience level and were something I'd be interested in.

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Have they ever heard of noting anything down? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

agree, I use jobsite to post up cv. and all my last 3 contract IT roles came from jobsite. And I also got a perm interview line up this week from jobsite.
    CWjobs are good too, you wont get much luck from agencys contacting from cwjobs. but on most of there jobs post they have direct emails to the person who put the job post in the first place as well as contact details.
    stick to what works with you is all I can say.

some of these recruitment agencys will do your head. I tend to throw the first questions in before they start going in there dialogue mode :dry such as if the jobs a perm or location. but some recruiters are genuinely nice.

Best of luck job hunting.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  9. greenbrucelee

I'll have a look at jobsite too.

10. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Use Jobsite. Jobserve is better for candidates, but their fees are too steep for most agencies to use on a regular basis. I started getting phone calls this week within a few hours of my CV going live on Jobsite; I wouldn't touch Monster for a serious job.

Agents are provided with a list of active candidates based on when they last logged into the site, so ensure you log into Jobsite at least once or twice a day.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  11. greenbrucelee

I have just put my CV on there after registering.

12. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

job agencies suck they come across all nice and friendly and make you feel like they're there to help but they're not. the truth of it is they're on commission and are only nice when they think you can fill a job they have. As soon as they realise you can't they stop responding to emails and phone calls. this is even true after you have been to interviews they're set up, they constantly lie about job descriptions and make promises they dont keep reguarding interviews and forwarding your CV to potential employers. so to sum it all up do not believe anything they say or do they are all out for their own personal gain so take everything with a pinch of salt and if anything good comes out of it take it as a lucky break.

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  13. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Although some people may hate recruiters, many companies use them exclusively. So avoiding them may be harmfull to the potential market.

As for me, TEKsystems and Monster are the global sites that have worked for me.

14. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

yup thats the problem and is why they can be soo sh!tty

im planning to phone one of the employers tuesday to find out what happened in one of my interviews, im deliberately going around the agency because she's not responding to me. if nothing comes of the the interview it will atleast show them how unprofessional the agency they've hired is :)

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi grim, am not sure if that would be a smart move as most of the companies using recruitment agencies use more than one and hence they don't care either.

Get the gist:), I would just play it safe and look for a win win situation for me. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It's getting worse. Not only am I getting calls from multiple recruiting agencies, offering me a shot at the same job, but now I'm getting calls from different agents at the same agency, offering me a shot at the same job. :rolleyes:

17. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Well, if they're that keen, state your own terms... 8)

18. greenbrucelee

That sucks, I got a call from an agency today asking me what I was looking for and if I wanted full time or contract. She said she had seen my CV on Jobsite but she obviousely missed what sort of work I was looking for and that I wanted full-time work. :blink

19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

LOL. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Actually, I like this last agency that has been calling. I really wish they found me first. They actually behave with some ethics.

For instance, when I talked to their first rep last week, I suggested that he submit my resume, even though another agency already had. I've been waiting for an interview and thought maybe the competition would get someone to take some action. The recruiter informed me that if he submitted my resume and it was already in the hands of the hiring company (HP, in this case), that I would be invalidated for the job. He seemed genuinely (of course, he could be acting) concerned about me getting a fair shot. He also engaged me in "personal" conversation and treated me like a person instead of just a resource.

The guy I spoke to today called me back after my first conversation with him letting me know the same thing (his job description was slightly off from the other and I wasn't sure if it was the same job or not). Asked when I originally submitted my resume and said I'd probably be waiting another week or two before HP got to the point of calling for interviews (something he didn't *have* to tell me and that didn't serve his interests).

It's rare for recruiters to be concerned about you beyond what they can just get out of you and I'd prefer to be represented by someone I can work with on a human as well as a "job" level. Oh well...that's the way it goes. :rolleyes:

20. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Can you not just 'bin' the first agency and go with the one you 'like'? Or does it not work like that?