Recruiters and headhunting companies

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Nov 14, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I just had one of those experiences with recruiters that just makes me shake my head. I received an email from an "executive recruiter" from cybercoders.com. The name would lead you to believe this is a company that specializes in IT recruitment, but they contacted me about a managerial position in the HVAC business.

So, I get this email and write back to the recruiter telling him that being a manager of an installation department for an HVAC company is a little out of my line. I've never done any installation work. All my HVAC experience is service related. However, I would like some information about cybercoders.com: who they are, how long they have been around, why they recruit so far outside the obvious limits that their name implies, how big they are, etc....

I get an email back telling me where to go to put my resume in and sign up with them. Not a word with respect to my questions. Nothing. It was if I had asked the guy how to sign up. So, I write back and tell him that I had been considering using cybercoders due to his first email, but because he had completely ignored my requests for information I was no longer interested at all in him or his company.

I get an email in reply to that one telling me he knew nothing about the company, but he thought it might have been around for about 10 years. However, he really would like to help me.

All I can do is shake my head. Who in their right mind goes to work for a company which will tell you nothing about themselves, as his reply suggests has happened to him? Furthermore, who goes to work for a company knowing absolutely nothing about them? I've never even had an interview in which the interviewer didn't tell me about the history of their company, how big they are, how long they've been around, why, if their name suggests another line of business altogether they are in the business they are now in, etc....

I'm left with only two ways of looking at this. Either this guy is completely lying to me, or the company he works for is so secretive they won't tell their employees anything about themselves. They certainly don't tell anything about themselves on their website. I looked. No "about" links. No "company" links. Nothing. That made me wonder so I asked the recruiter, and received the above response. I've yet to see any reputable company so unwilling to say anything about themselves. I've never even seen a disreputable company that doesn't at least put out a few lies about how great they are. This company says absolutely nothing to prospective clients on their website, and if their recruiters are to be believed, don't even tell their own employees anything.

I've never seen anything quite like it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Thats dumb

So either this company is in cahoots with the secret service or the guy is a complete **********, or a lying to be nice about it.

Its all about targets to recruiters and not much else.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

There was a thread not too long ago about the inadequacies of IT recruitment agencies in general. Simply put you can only take what they present you or say with a pinch of salt:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I do take what recruiters say with a grain of salt, but this is so weird it leaves me just shaking my head wondering exactly what the game is. If you're a con artist you at least try to give a very good impression of yourself upfront. If you're honest you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by telling people about yourself. Here is a company that says nothing about itself, and it's in the people business. If you're in the people business you communicate because communication is the basis of your business..... I simply do not understand. It really puzzles me.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1