Recruiters and headhunters

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by bowulf, Aug 10, 2007.

1. bowulf

bowulf Bit Poster

Is it just me or are they going bonkers recently with hunting for candidates for jobs? I am being pinged about my VCP by a number of places. Everyone seeming has a "project" that requires someone for 1 or 2 weeks. The worst one was this guy who pestered me and my kids (home phone) for 2 or 3 days about being a trainer for him. (Even though I was originally going to become a history professor, I have not done any training outside informal staff training ever.) He's calling my cell phone while I am at work (thanks kids), so finally I call him up to end the insanity. He's wanting to know if I could provide turnkey training for his company, which means I would have buy all the materials & equipment (servers & SAN) to provide it. He must have not gotten the joke when I started laughing.

The money was good but certainly not good enough to purchase servers and a SAN for VMware training. To top it off, I am not even looking for a different job.

Certifications: Master CNE,VCP,MCSE,MCSA,MCTS,TICSA,CCNA
    WIP: ITIL, MCITP-W2K8 (EA)
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Tell me about it I'm currently looking for my next contract and its like wrestling with something nasty ! :biggrin

Recruiters can make BIG money, more than many IT professionals by placing people, thats why they are sooooo motivated !

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They're recruiters. If they could do an IT job, they'd probably not be looking for people to fill an IT job.

That said, there are some decent ones out there. They are few and far between... but they're out there.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

recruiters = agency, yer?

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

On my experience many proclaim expertise in IT because they know a few buzwords, some cannot even pronounce them properly, some don't even have a grasp of basic english, which is quite unforgiveable for the ones that actually are english !

I've noticed a trend for some IT people going into recruitment, so yes some of them could and did do an IT job, some of them were even CISSP certified !

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

The amount of adverts I've seen posted to job sites from agencies with loads of spelling mistakes makes my toes curl. I don't pull people up on their spelling because they may be dyslexic, but if they are submitting a vacancy to a job board you would have thought they'd get it proof read first, makes it look far more professional.

For example I saw a vacancy a few months back for someone with experience with SQL, instead of just putting SQL in the posting they wrote the word "sequel".

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009