Recommndations for Web Document Management Solution

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Colloghi, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Hope my title makes sense:)

Well got calld into a IT meeting today with the director, regarding access to an FTP server. No problem i thought, we have a FTP server.....Im new in this role, but im sure if I find out some little details........it really should be fine, and I can probably set this up myself:D

Although it wasnt an FTP server he wanted...................that figures

Basically Mr Director would like us to set up a Web based Document Management area, hosted offsite and our own internal staff. i guess really its like our own little private cloud we require......

The requiment is for our staff to be able to be offsite and take images of properties, upload the images to the document management site, and then our clients be able to log in with user credentials and view the images or documents availiable in a pretty but simple userface with our company logo. Currently photographs are taken and then emailed between clients and ourselves and the traffic really isnt great anyway on our network:|

This apparently is required within 2 weeks as our director has kindly told the client "WE CAN DO THIS", therefore we need a off the shelf product that can pretty much be ready to go and availiable from when we click the purchase button:D

For example of something that would be ideal

http://www.pennington.org.uk/our-services/workspace

Ive not really dealt with anywhere that does this apart from the free sites...........anyone with any recommendations for hosting solutions or advice regarding this would be great....I may have even got the terminolgy on this wrong:|

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

smack your director upside the head for being a *****
    then tell him to use sharepoint, and put some time and effort into it

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Agreed sounds like you need some sort of portal / content / document management system.

Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS), Full Sharepoint, Documentum spring to mind.

As for open source there literally hundred of solutions with different feature sets in this area, you could spend months evaluating them, 2 weeks to implement in production from zero knowledge is ridiculous.

A custom solution could also take months depending on the exact requirements, you may not get what you need out of the box.

Lastly if you don't want to self host and are prepared to take standard functionality you could white-label an existing photo sharing solution from say Snap-Fish etc.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

^^ that's it

You'd be looking at a hosted sharepoint solution. We have one set up here. 2 weeks to set it up will be well within possible. Decide on the plan, pay the money, set it up and you're away. Then go and do what Pheo suggested to the director.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Cheers for the replies and suggestions:) Thinking about this a bit more, i think I just need something quick to set up with a company logo, and then further down the line we can build a better and more custom system.

I did however managed to find the company of the "workspace" thttp://www.pennington.org.uk/our-services/workspace that the director loves so much

So here it is if anyone wants a look for their own use:)

http://www.cloudsuk.com/default.aspx

Ive actually had a look around the workspace above and for what is required, it is very ideal. So pending an enquiry, I ll let you know the outcome:)

6. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Ive been meaning to return to this topic for a while to update..........

in the end we did not go with the above solution, which was great in the end as the client wasnt interetsed in the document sharing solution at the time anyway and saved us a sh1tload of money....

However, thats beside the point as I went off and built my own Document sharing demo site.

I had heard breifly in my last role of a product called "Liferay" Enterprise open source portal and collaboration software. - Liferay.com.

Liferay is pretty much an open source CMS product, which has snap ins called Portals. It wasnt too much trouble to get it installed on a PC, and set up with document sharing area which exactly as need. I even got to the point where I kitted it out with our colours and logo, which required some tweaking.....................

If anyone is thinking of building a intranet, or at the very least needs a site which they can demo an idea as such, have a look at Liferay. Itc an tie in AD and other things, Id say for a basic site to be built, its pretty easy to use. However if you really want to customize it, then I can see there is a very deep learning curve and time that needs to go into it, its all built on Java i believe

anyway enough waffling, just a suggestion.................and as an example, this site is built on Liferay:)

Home - Sesame Street

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes Liferay is a JSR 168 / 286 based Java CMS and Portal. I've spent about 3-4 years building Java Portals, like I said its not always straight forward, depending on the requirements.

8. Aabarshini

Aabarshini New Member

Recommndations for Web Document Management Solution Topic in this forum is very impressive.:eek:

9. kishmbee

kishmbee Bit Poster

Directors can be maddening, Its recommended to show them the power of Windows Sharepoint Services.