Recommended Resources

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NoCompanyIT, Jan 14, 2009.

1. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

I don't know if any of these have been mentioned elsewhere but they are good resources.

indeed.co.uk - job search engine that groups other job search engines like monster, cwjobs, jobserve etc so you don't have to search through loads of sites.

yell.com - to find local businesses to contact to ask for work or to find vacancies that they only advertise on their site

What Colour is Your Parachute 2009 - A book on how to job hunt with practical exercises to identify your transferable skills and other skills. Mentions the worst ways to look for a job and the best.

Worst Ways - Using it as your only method
    1. Internet - 4-10% success rate at finding a job by applying for vacancies online
    2. Randomly mailing CV - 7% success
    3. Answering ads in trade journal - 7% success
    4. Answering local newspaper ads - 5-24%
    5. Private employment agencies - 5-28%
    6. Jobcentre - 14%

Best Ways - Using it as your only method

1. Do a self inventory - success is 86% (find out more about yourself and what you want, inc transferable skills, job environments you'd most like, how to get where you want to go by finding names of jobs you'd be interested in, names of orgs that have such jobs, name of the person with the power to hire you, how to approach that person and show them how you can help them using your skills)

2. Job Club, using yellow pages to find employers then phone or visit - 84%

3. Same as above but by yourself - 69%

4. Knock on doors of employers asking for vacancies - 47%

5. Ask for job leads from everyone you know - 33%

Shows how it's best to use a maximum of 4 alternate ways of looking for a job, not just 1, and if they don't work, try other ways. Also have an alternate job in mind rather than just 1.

It offers advice of CVs - how it's best to not send your CV to companies, they screen it out in 8 secs. Best to take it to interview and give it them at the end.

A section on interviews showing why the interviewer is just as nervous as you as he has a huge risk to take. Studies showing how inefficient an interview is at finding the right candidate etc

It's full of advice to put things in perspective and keep you upbeat. It's definitely the best book on job hunting and career change.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Good info there though perhaps relates to your experience ?

From my own, and for the type/level of vacancy I'm looking for the various jobsites (we have numerous threads listing them if you search) and recruitment agencies are my best choices.

Remember that IT covers a wide choice of jobs and careers and accessing these will depend on where you are in terms of career development etc.

Good post tho', rep given.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Good post, rep left!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

You may want to view this thread and also this (poll now closed but I'm currently co-ordinating). If you add your details to the latter thread then I'll include you in the PM's I'll be sending out.

There's also this too !

6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Good post.

Just to back up what you say, 70% of jobs go unadvertised (according to the government career advice service) so it's never a good idea to just sit back and compete with everyone else for 30% of jobs when there's 70% of them you'll have a clear field for if you show some initiative.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Yep, and don't forget professional networking too :

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=30189

plus www.linkedIn.com