Recommended Reading Material for 70-290

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Chrism70, May 17, 2010.

1. Chrism70

Chrism70 New Member

Good Evening

(This is my first post on this website btw)

I have worked in IT Support now for over 12 years and have finally decided to study for an MCSA. MCSA 2003 is my choice, and last year I completed a part-time college course on 70-290. I have now booked my exam, end of June, and am tonight checking to see what reading material I have to begin my studying.........

MICROSOFT OFFICAL COURSE BOOK - Managing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment
    MASTERING Windows Server 2003

Does anyone know of any other books that I could purchase in order to revise for the exam? Im not interested in books where I have to complete exercises, but more of a book that will detail everything I need to know in order to have a good chance at passing the exam god willing.

Thanks guys :thumbleft

Certifications: HND Business Information Technology
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  2. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

Have you got much experience hands on with server 2003?
    If so Stick with the ms press book and do the practice questions that come on the cd

Certifications: 70-270 70-290
    WIP: MCSE
  3. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

If you have decent experience with Server 2003, the MS Press book should be pretty sufficient. I used that, plus my hands on experience. I also highly recommend Mark Minassi's "Mastering Windows Server 2003", but that book will definitely provide WAAAAYYY more information than needed to pass that exam. Still, the information in it is incredible.

Hope this helps!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  4. Chrism70

Chrism70 New Member

The Mastering book I have, and last night I ordered the Microsoft book (despatched today, due tomorrow!).

I have been supporting a 2003 Server for 3 years now off and on. I work in IT Support and my job role is IT Assistant, so it's my boss who has had more exposure to the Server OS............but soon, god willing, I shall be taking over full duties in supporting the Server and the whole IT infrastruture of a company of 2 Servers (both 2003) and 65 end users both internal and externally.

So these 2 books should help a lot then!!

Thanks guys :biggrin

Certifications: HND Business Information Technology
    WIP: MCSA 2003