Recommended order of subject study with Training Company

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Killian, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Hi,

Bit of a strange question this but here goes.

I'm currently learning the N+ Material via a training company I managed to get my employer to pay for. I did the A+ with them too (passed yesterday; 855 & 835 :)) though this wasn't such an issue then as I'll explain below.

Anyway, they list the subjects on their site alphabetically with no indication of where to start. This wasn't such an issue with the A+ as I'd read the A+ Bible a couple years back so it was pretty much a case of 'catch up'. However; with the N+ whislt I know a few bits and pieces I've picked up over the years I don't know enough to comfortably tuck in. For example I started on one subject but found it referring to stuff as if I should of already learnt it (must be in another section) but because I haven't it makes grasping the content more difficult.

This is the list of subjects on my screen. Can anyone give any recommendation on where to start and in what order to go through them? I know no one can give me a definitive as who knows what content is actually contained within but would still be nice if someone could try.

I've numbered them to make responses a little easier :)

1 CompTIA Network+ 2009 (N10-004): Access Control and Network Threats

2 CompTIA Network+ 2009 (N10-004): Cable, Wiring, and Ethernet Specifications

3 CompTIA Network+ 2009 (N10-004): Command-Line, Software, and Hardware Tools

4 CompTIA Network+ 2009 (N10-004): IP Addressing, Subnetting, and NAT

5 CompTIA Network+ 2009 (N10-004): IP Routing and Routing Protocols

6 CompTIA Network+ 2009 (N10-004): Network Troubleshooting and Management

7 CompTIA Network+ 2009 (N10-004): Networking Devices and the Internet Protocol

8 CompTIA Network+ 2009 (N10-004): Networks and the OSI Specifications

9 CompTIA Network+ 2009 (N10-004): Physical Security and Wide Area Networks

10 CompTIA Network+ 2009 (N10-004): Switches, VLANS, and Wireless Technologies

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Did this training company not provide you with a book?

Anyway, number 8 is a good place to start.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Nope, was only a cheap online course. Cost £700 and includes all the exam fees as well as the Transcender Mock Exams for each exam.

Did start on Number 8 as that seemed the most logical place to. Tempted to pick up Meyers Network+ AIO and learn from that instead as I remember the A+ one was in a much more precise structure. Just a little unsure of how the July (fourth edition) will do with the newer 2009 edition of exam, I'd assume that the newer OS's won't have that much effect on the overall 'networking' side of things.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually to be fair, it's all subject matter that you need to learn, whether you do it via alphabetically or numerically you need to know it all.

If I were you I would start with the subjects that interest you the most, that way it kick starts you to wanting to learn more.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Yeah I appreciate that it's just I would assume some of the content will help me understand other bits of the content more completely. For example I was looking at encapsulation and whilst I picked a bit of this up over time, I don't have a fantastic grasp of it yet but this particular section acted like I 'should' know it by heart. I'd assume that it's covered under a different section which, had I read prior to this particular section, would have made the difference in how quickly I grasped it.

What do you think about the idea of picking up the Meyers book and the 2009 edition...... can pick one up pretty cheap and don't mind spending the money. I remember when I did the A+ with this particular company and I had quite a bit come up in the exam that wasn't covered in the material I'd read on their site. Luckily I'd picked up most things anyway but you're talking basic stuff like them discussing an RJ45 or IEEE1394 but not actually showing pictures of what they look like, opting for a description instead.

Didn't particuarly matter as I read the A+ bible a couple years back so knew what they looked like prior to this but if I didn't it would have made things more difficult...... the more I talk about it the more I realise I should just get the Network+ AIO!! lol

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Definitely pick up a book (and cbtnuggets\trainsignal vids as well if you can afford to).
    I am going away today to do an MCITP course, rather than just relying on the material from the course however I am taking with me my MS Press Books so that I can also use them to help me out.

You can never have too much in the way of books for course work.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Here's a cheeky suggestion .... go to Amazon and look here

Then click on 'look inside the book' - you click on the picture of the book. It's got the contents of the book and a break down of each chapter in sequence.

To be honest it's probably worth picking up a book or another source of material anyway, as a single source doesn't always cover everything you need to know. The books are pretty cheap usually (buy it used even if your budget is tight) and can be useful in the future as reference material.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Nice :) lol

I decided to go ahead and order the Meyers book as I read nothing but praise about it. I tend to learn better with diagrams/text in book format rather than online as I get real bad eye strain sometimes so don't mind spending the money.

Am an impatient b****** so used express delivery.... budget isn't too much of an issue at the minute, atleast not on something at this cost.