Recommend a good NAS Device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael78, Aug 29, 2007.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Guys bought a Linkstation Pro and it works fine with XP but it won't work with Vista (Can't see the shares which makes it useless as a NAS Device). Can anyone recommend a good NAS Device for around £250 and from 500GB to 1TB of storage.

Cheers

Michael...:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

a Novell Netware server ;) ...just a joke :) :)

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Buffalo Terrastations. :thumbleft

4. michael78

Buffalo products aren't compatible with Vista as far as I'm aware.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Or.... you could run the fix as stated in their KB?

Here

EDIT: Be sure to select Linkstation, rather than Linkstation Pro in order to see the download. The readme indicates that its compatible with all Linkstation products.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. michael78

Fergal I tried the fix yesterday and it didn't work. I'm sending the device back which is a shame as I liked it but Buffalo support is less than acceptable. I rang them and he said you tried the fix which I replied yes. He then said well I can't help you then. Didn't ask any questions or nothing. When I asked him when the software was going to be made Vista compatible he said he could speak japanese so did know as it's developed there. You would of thought they would have a rough timescale since it's a pretty new product.

Anyway has anyone used 1GB Maxtor Shared Storage II I think I might get this as the replacement.

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Slypie

Why don't you try manually allowing NTLM authentication in Vista? It's probably more reliable than a vendor patch...

To do this, open up the local security policy editor in Vista (sepol.msc from a run dialog), then go to 'Local Policies' - 'Security options'. Go down the list of options until you come to 'Network Security - LM authentication level (actually it might be 'LM' or 'Lan Manager' - can't remember which and can't get to a Vista box to confirm). Select that option, right click and go to 'properties'. You should see an entry in there which allows you to send NTLM2 AND NTLM - select that and confirm.

That should work

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This seems to be a very common complaint about NASes and Vista.

I found this commentary and fix:

Code:
    Click "Start -> Run." Then, type in the Run field: "secpol.msc." That will bring you to Vista's security policy system. Once there, use "Go to: Local Policies > Security Options" and then find "Network Security: LAN Manager" authentication level. Once there, change the Setting from "Send NTLMv2 response only" to "Send LM & NTLM -- use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated."
    Most of the inexpensive NASes out there are using Samba on a small embedded Linux system.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. michael78

I've heard very good things about QNAP Nas devices.

Harry, I also tried the fix and doing it manually and it wouldn't work. *I think it was down to the software. *I got my Maxtor 1TB Shared Storage device and can say I'm impressed with it for the size,*speed and price. *On a side note Buffalo's customer services was pathetic and has put me off their products.

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #ffffff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }