Recent problems with antivirus programmes

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by jack_symantec, Dec 23, 2007.

1. jack_symantec

jack_symantec New Member

Some of you may have heard about some recent major problems with certain antivirus programmes – or may have even suffered from those problems.

I am sorry if you encountered any difficulties with your antivirus programme. I hope that you found a solution for it and that you managed to get your PC up and running again.

For those of you who have not considered Norton lately: Maybe now it would be a good time to take the Norton Challenge and see how we have improved! Check this out - http://www.takethenortonchallenge.com/ See how we have enhanced our performance. And just give it a try, there's a money back guarantee!

Jack from Symantec

2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Just lately having a problem with Norton? Nah, not lately as I long ago quit recommending your product to customers and have no need of it myself. I've had problems with it for years though. You guys make it next impossible to uninstall your spyware, uh, I mean your AV product.... Do you really think Symantec's policy of doing that does anything for its relationships with its customers, and the techs that have to set it up or take it off systems, besides creating massive amounts of hard feelings against the company? Just curious....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I used to have nortons, it sucks balls, far too intrusive and oh yeah it sucks balls.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Jack,

Pass our eternal gratitude to Symantec for creating AV software that wraps itself round the throat of your computer and chokes the life out of it, so a re-format and a re-install of windows is the only way to go.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No thanks Jack. I have seen way too many computers bogged down with your product that I reached the point years ago where I would just want to remove it altogether. If it's taken *your company* this long to realise you have a problem with your products hogging system resources and being a devil to uninstall well sadly i have no faith in what's in store from Symantec in the future.

Singulaly the biggest performance upgrade i can give a PC is not more RAM, a faster CPU, a better graphics card or a new MOBO. It is simply to remove Norton Internet Security and install another AV solution that does not seriously impact the speed of the PC.

The old addage, 'once bitten twice shy' more than applies here. :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

My Dad had Norton 2007 on his laptop and to be honest it wasn’t too bad in comparison to the earlier versions of the product. It still brought the system to a crawl when logging on but after that it was ok.

I still think NOD32 is a better product, v3 is a massive step forward and runs quietly in the background. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

What I find funny about Jack's post is that he is not refering to Symantec products as having major problems - he clearly means the competition! So it's completely obvious to me that Symantec are still oblivious to their own problems!

Never thought I'd see Symantec spamming forums though! I stopped using their personal NAV and NIS shite when NIS 2006 fooked up my PC - but after seeing this spam I'll deffo steer clear from their products from now on! AVG all the way for me!

Who's next to spam CF??? Microsoft??

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hehe or that other lovely product that kids love to install that fooks up ya PC.. Incredimail *spit*. :sick:badi

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Hey Jack,

Is the response you've gotten so far the one you thought you'd get? Think you'll get many positive responses for spamming this forum?

Kinda looks to me as if you and your bosses need to re-evaluate customer relations just a hair..... :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep have just got a 30 day free trial of NOD32 and I already see why its better.

This is because: It doesn't suck, it's more thorough, it doesn't infiltrate your pc like a virus and oh yeah it doesn't suck.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I agree with all that's been said about the previous versions of Norton, but even though it has taken a long time for them to take note of users' gripes and acting on them, I am curious to see reviews of the product to see if it is genuinely lighter. I'm not going to give it a try because there is no chance that I would be buying it now having just renewed my NOD32 license, but see before you attack poor old Norton.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I think I've put my last Norton product on my computer when Ghost blue-screened my last OS to the point of having to reformat.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That is some bad incidents you guys had with norton and I've experienced some of them my self trying to fix friends PCs. Although I never really had it installed on my own system I don't think that I will ever use it unless the AV really changes for the best, because right now free alternatives like AVG or AVAST home edition are a lot better in my opinion.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  14. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Let Microsoft spam CF.... after all, we do have Freddy on our side