Really could do with some guidance please :)

Discussion in 'A+' started by Juelz, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi I really want to do my Comptia A+ Cert but I want to be sure that I have the correct information. Here are the questions I have (thought it would be easier to just put them in a list)

1. Am I right in thinking the two exams needed to obtain the qualifications are 220-701 & 220-702 ?

2. Am I right in thinking the 702 exam is practical? and if so how can this be self-taught?

How much does the exams cost? I found this price list on the official site Im in the UK so my currency is GBP, I noticed the price is £117 but is that for both exams? as it doesnt specify. (wont let me post the link)

4. are the two exams all I will need to get the cert?

5. Should I just go for the 801 802 exams instead of the 701 and 702 ?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

1. The 701 and 702 are only available until the 31st August 2013, so unless you can get them both done by then, go for the 801 and 802.

2. The questions in both exams are multiple choice and performance based, its just the theory behind the practical that you will be tested on.

3. The exams are £117 each.

4. Yes, if you pass the two exams, you get the A+ cert.

5. It all depends on how quickly you can get through the material and up to test standard. Do you have much experience in IT already or are you new to the field? Personally I would go for the 801 and 802, these are also available to take now, so if you were ready, your not held up.

HTH! 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for your reply its very much appreciated, I do have two more questions though.. isit true the comptia certs are only valid for three years? and that you have to pay an annual fee to stay qualified?

also will I need a spare computer that I can pull apart and practice on in order to study succesfully?

BTW I have no experience working within IT but have been the repair man for my family and friends sinceI was 11 and fix most problems, not even just with computers, I'm pretty good with technology all round tbh.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

It is true that a subset of the CompTIA certs are now only valid for 3 years, I was lucky enough to get the three (A+, Network+ and Security+) before they changed it, as they never use to expire. The information on which certs are affected and how to keep your certs valid can be found here.

Also, it can be helpful to have a old PC to play around with, but in my opinion it is not essential. Like yourself, I had done loads of hardware repairs and installations before I started studying for the A+ so I just read through the book and learnt the theory, and I passed both exams pretty comfortably.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for all your help, think I pretty much have the info I needed, I managed to get a PDF file of the Mike Myers 801-802 comptia a+ book so I will use that and professor messers videos to study (trying to achieve my cert the most cost effective way) Also I have the exam objectives which will help. I must say though it seems like alot to learn, heard some people say they learnt it in a month only studying a hour a day I think Im looking along the lines of two months tbh if not longer :lol:

6. FreshenUp

FreshenUp Bit Poster

Length of time varies with each person, I had a lot to juggle about at the time of studying mine, so it took me a while, but make sure you are really ready when you go to take it as those exams are quite pricey :lol:

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I think my biggest problem is finding good enough learning resources...

8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

The Mike Meyers All In One for the A+ is great resource for these exams. I used a previous version of the book for my A+ exams and was very impressed.

The only other resource you may need is some practice questions, I used Transcender and felt they were also very good.

9. Sceritz

Sceritz Bit Poster

I am using Mike Meyer's Passport for my A+ and it is VERY to the point... I'm glad I have it.