Realistic salary

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by da_cortez, Jan 25, 2008.

1. da_cortez

da_cortez New Member

Hi guys and girls,

I work for a large telecoms company as a service activation engineer; I basically configure and remotely take-on Cisco/Juniper routers. I have 3 years networking experience and I currently have CCNA, JNCIA-ER & JNCIS-ER certification. What do you think is a reasonable salary?

Cheers.

Certifications: CCNA, JNCIA-ER & JNCIS-ER
    WIP: CCNP
  2. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Salary can vary greatly between skills sets and geographical location so you'd be best checking out some of the jobsites for vacancies in your area.

3. da_cortez

da_cortez New Member

i have searched various jobsites and can never find a similar job spec, i have searched under CCNA also but that comes up with anything between 30k - 45k for my area.

i know various people with ccna and they are not within that salary range.

4. JohnBradbury

From what I understand Juniper kit is not as widely used as Cisco in the commercial sector, it's found more in ISPs and hosting companies. Whilst jobs might appear less frequently they will show up on the jobsites at some point.

It might be worth contacting some agents who deal with CCNP vacancies and ask them for some advice. They'll have a good idea of the demand and potential salaries.

5. da_cortez

da_cortez New Member

juniper is used more as a core router, we use m-series juniper routers for our comercial core. the juniper jobs seem to be higher paid then cisco. i will keep looking on jobsites and speaking to agency's i was just hoping there would be some kind of post with salary brackets for guys actually in the job.

6. JohnBradbury

7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

The reason the Juniper jobs seem to be higher paid is because there are fewer Juniper certified people, so the talent pool is smaller. This would be a plus for you, except the flip side is there are fewer enterprises that use Juniper. Juniper gear is much more used in the telecom / ISP type industries. The typicial private and public sector enterprises (retail; FI's; Gov't) mostly stick with Cisco. As the saying goes... "you'll never be fired for choosing Cisco..."

Not my normal advice but...
    Since your location and industry is specific I suggest talking to some IT agents / recruiters to get a better gauge of your potential salary in your area.

8. da_cortez

da_cortez New Member