Realistic salary

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Guy123, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Guy123

Guy123 New Member

I am doing the 7 week course at JBC covering Microsoft MCSA, Cisco CCNA, Comptia Security+, A+ and Network+

After the course, what would be a realistic salary?

I am thinking it would be 10-12k, as I have no experiences in I.T. I was wondering how high of a salary can I get?

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Looking at £15k best case IMO.

Do you work in IT just now? If not getting that lot in 7 weeks will be tough.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Guy123

Guy123 New Member

I never worked in a I.T role

4. Sparky

Eh? have you paid for the course? If not then cancel!

Aiming for the A+ in 7 weeks is a more realistic option 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Guy123

Guy123 New Member

I am a graduate in computing with maths - 2:1

:D

6. Sparky

Means nothing mate, I have a MSc, still could not do that lot in 7 weeks.

That course is meant for people with years of IT experiance but just need the certs to back it up.

7. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

So you have no experience working in IT but you're studying for mid level certificates?

If you pass the CCNA, MCSA, A+, Security+ and Network+ in seven weeks most potential employers will assume you used braindumps to pass. Even if you didn't I'd question just how much you actually knew about the products when it comes to hands on.

Anyone can read a book and answer some questions, but can you put it into practice and actually use the products... Not after seven weeks you can't.

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

I am not being funny mate but doing all those certs in 7 weeks with no IT experience, then you must be a genius or the company training you are using braindumps to train you.

Let me guess you have been told if you pay £5000 you'll get a job after 7 weeks for 30k a year, well that bollocks.

As Sparky says the A+ in 7 weeks is more realistic.

BTW if you have a search on the forum you'll see threads by people saying I have MCSE or I have CCNA but no experience and no one will give me a job, the fact is having MCSE or CCNA without a full proper years experience are almost useless.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Guy123

Guy123 New Member

I am paying £500 for accomodation and £160 for books.

10. Sparky

Are you paying for the exams? :blink

11. Guy123

Guy123 New Member

I don't think exams are that important

It's more about knowing your stuff

8)

12. greenbrucelee

Guy123 let me just say MIcrosoft recommend a years work experience implementin desktop and networked operating systems before you should attempt the MCSE, CISCO recommend a years experience with Cisco equipment before doing CCNA.

What makes you think you can do all those exams in 7 weeks and get a job where the employer will take you seriously?

13. greenbrucelee

Whats the point in a course without exams at the end ?

14. Guy123

Guy123 New Member

You can learn alot in 7 weeks

15. Guy123

Guy123 New Member

I think when your working in a job, they look past your exams, and look at whether you can do the job

16. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well knowledge is very important, that's for sure - and in my opinion more important than exams. But exams have their place too, you wouldn't hire a taxi to get you across town if they didn't have a driving licence would you? Or hire an unqualified structural engineer to build a bridge across a river. Why then would anyone expect a company to hire "unqualified" IT staff to look after their computer systems when every minute they're down the company can be losing their livelihood? Exams re-enforce a persons knowledge to their employer and/or the person they're contracted to.

But apart from that, even really understanding all the theory and knowledge from the A+ only will take approx 7 weeks.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  17. greenbrucelee

Learning and applying are two different things.

Just because you have learned how install an operating system and configure it with various options does not mean IF you get a job you will able to do all that and configure the companies network to interact with that OS.

Take this for example:Plenty of people pass their driving test every day, it does not mean plenty of people should be driving though.

No IT manager in their right minds will let someone with MCSA or MCSE work on their servers who does not have experience. Please do not delude your self.

18. Sparky

7 weeks for FA certs, great deal mate :rolleyes:

19. greenbrucelee

I have been drinking so please forgive me, you are paying £500 quid on a hotel and £160 on books but you are not doing the exams. That is highly illogical captain.

20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A 7-week course won't help you to "know your stuff", nor will certifications... and employers know it. If you don't have any real-world IT experience, you shouldn't be pursuing mid-level certifications like the CCNA, MCSA, and Security+. You should be pursuing the A+, Network+, and MCDST... and most importantly, getting your entry-level job so you can start building what employers want: experience.

But... your training provider wasn't going to tell you that... they merely wanted to part you from your money.

Guy, I've been in IT for the past 10 years... I can say with absolute certainty that a training course won't enable you to do the job.

Ultimately, the decision is yours... but you'd be well-served to pay attention to what these guys are saying. We've either "been there and done that", or "currently there and doing that." We know what employers are looking for. And what you're doing is not it...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!