Re-certification - Yes or No

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by SimonD, Mar 21, 2018.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Whilst I am a big fan of certifications (I post here after all), I am starting to find myself at the cusp of trying to decide if I actually need any additional certifications.

I am now a 'technical' manager, I have staff who do the day to day work and fix the things I used to fix, I don't tend to find myself having the time to be technically hands on (so much so that having moved house last November I still don't have my VMware lab up and running as it's still in boxes in my garage).

My boss asked me a year ago if I was doing any technical work (because he didn't want me involved in the minutia of day to day work) and I just laughed at him and asked when I was expected to do said technical work (I already do on average 10 hour days).

The thing is tho that I worked hard for my certifications, my VCAP was a couple of months of really hard study and I have until June to renew my VCP certification or have to start a fresh with certification after that date and this is where I am starting to wonder if re-certifying is really needed at the stage I am at now (to give you an idea, I manage a large team of storage and virtualisation engineers with a title of Senior Manager, I am pushing for Directorship this year (my VP having already assumed I was a Director already) so that means even more hands off and more steering towards strategy etc.

It would be lovely to stay certified, it would be greater still to get my RHCSA but I really struggle finding the time (throw in the Personal Trainer Certification I have paid for and that's really limiting my time).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Simon my friend. I know exactly where you are coming from. You’ve achieved so much. We know that anyone with a VCAP deserves a lot of respect as it’s an incredible amount of knowledge required, so you’ve already achieved more in the cert game than many ever will.
    I think it’s natural that we end up doing less and less hands on as this gives the next guy the chance to do that, although full respect to anyone who loves this work and stays there. It’s definitely fun and interesting I think.

I would say update your VCP to the latest to give you two years to see how it all goes. I don’t doubt you will get your directorship but as we know mate, things can happen that are out of anyone’s control, perhaps key contracts are lost, you’ve seen a house decide they no longer want a certain technology and as a result decide they don’t need the skills that went with it.

You will breeze your VCP and it’s keeping your qualifications fresh. You made a sizeable investment in your home lab so I’m sure it’s itching to stretch it’s legs again.

Just my two cents. If you get your directorship I’d probably then look to just do things for fun, possibly a masters if you don’t have one of those

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Re-certification is a complete waste of time and money in my book.
    The only justification might be if your job required it, which it doesn't.

Life is short, spend your time and money doing what interests you most.

4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It is hard to let go – I have been trying to upgrade my MCITP:EA to either Server 2012 MCSA or 2016 MCSA for ages and just cannot get going with it.

I still do the hands on work to an extent but I can do this from my laptop remotely – I basically design the solution, meet the customer and explain what will happen and then get the guys to deliver the solution but with me doing the critical bits remotely. I usually follow up with a phone call after to try to sell something else.

The size of company I work at means I will still get hands on work but I can go for weeks visiting customers and going to meetings rather than working on servers\networks. :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Surely post of the year? .....especially on a certification website :) :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    Jaron78 and JK2447 like this.
  6. JK2447

:emoji_smile::emoji_smile::emoji_smile:
    I agree with this mate. Hardware, software and the sadistic ritual of testing my knowledge through exam taking it is :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::emoji_computer::emoji_desktop::emoji_keyboard:

I’m sat here hitting refresh waiting for Simon to tell us his decision :emoji_older_man:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Simon is still umming and ahhing on that decision, the sad thing is that it's 8am on my birthday and one of the first things I do is come and check CertForums :p

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Jaron78 and JK2447 like this.
  8. JK2447

Happy Birthday young man! :emoji_birthday::emoji_champagne_glass: Are you doing anything nice?

It's a tough decision not to be taken lightly for sure. Here's one for you. So you've got as high as VCAP. In your time have you written, contributed to or proof read(it's early I can't think of the correct term), VMware related published content, book, whitepaper etc? If not, this could be a good reason to get the latest VCP, get that done then give it a break.

9. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I would say keep them current you never know what is round the corner and you already did the hard part of getting them.

I avoid certifications that require re-certification like SANS courses and stick to the ones that require CPE's which is the majority luckily.

Certifications: A few.
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The issue I have is that whilst it would be nice to keep current I really am hands off these days, if I was going to get more training it would have to be for something like Storage or Containers etc.

I will see how the next month or so goes (I am US bound next week so may take some training material with me).

11. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

As hard as it is to see stuff lapse, for me certifications are a means to an end. I want the knowledge, & vicariously I want the knowledge to help me acquire more money & a better life. If certifications no longer service either of those needs to a great enough degree, then I don't see the point in doing them.

Obviously, it's a personal decision, but that's just my input on the matter.

12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Oh I get it, over the years I have spent £10000's on certification, to keep current was key for me as an engineer, as a manager it's not so key, especially as I have a team of enthusiastic engineers who work for me and keep me honest.

Moving upwards in the management track I understand the requirement of having technically aware managers (which I am thankful that I am) but I have to keep in mind that I am no longer hands on and that's why I am questioning the need to continue keeping technical certifications updated.